Coyote Control

Help Support CattleToday:

Have had problem with them for past few years ever since a fox/yote pen for people to run them with hounds went out of buisness. They just opened the gates and let them loose.I have shot a dozen the past year and lost a dozen or so cows/calves too. I let a man run them with hounds at night and that helped some. One person told me to take hamburger and put rat poison in it and leave it out.Said he had luck with that I never tried it though.My best luck was with a 30-30 sat out in the pastures in the evening and went hunting.Good luck

Caustic Burno":2kv7y4na said:
The problem with coyotes is they are smarter than 98% of the people after them.
:lol: :lol2: :nod:

CB you are right on my father inlaw killed 11 last year their right back this year.Cant kill all just slow em down a little bit.By the way he swear's by his old 22-250.
rattler

They don't strike me as being very smart.
They keep coming to a call to get killed even when seing others laying around dead.

Cal

I talked with a few people with fox pens. They will give $65 for an unharmed coyote. They suggested using snares or rubber coated steel traps. The only thing that worries me is getting them out of the traps without losing a hand or other important body part......

skinman,
You just need a catch pole. You put the noose around their neck and hold their head on the ground while taking the foot out of the trap. I have done a few coyotes that way along with a number of bobcats, a few badgers, a couple of small bears and even one mountain lion. The coyotes are dead easy compared to those others as they are only sharp on one end.

Oh and the snares wont work too well if you want undamaged coyotes. Most of them will be dead unless you put a stop on the snare.

Tom Lasater had an interesting take.
He did nothing about the coyotes, but if a cow lost a calf to any predator, she was culled immediately.
I guess if they can't protect their calf, they're gone.

Coyotes used to be a problem for me. The coyote population over the last five years was out of control. My poor old dog couldn't get any sleep keeping them away. What fixed them for me? Wolves, yes that's right wolves. This spring a pack of wolves moved in from the north and either killed of or chased the coyotes south. For a while it was a problem as the coyotes were practically running through my yard in order to get away. However, today we now have a healthy population of a handful of scattered coyote pairs. (before they lived in packs that roamed all day and all night). Wolves are a protected species here although you can shoot them if they are harming their livestock they haven't given me much trouble. Instead they seemed to have settled in the unmined part of the coal mine. (I live near one the coal mines that supplied coal for the power plants along Wabamun Lake). I have seen on T.V.

Donkeys chasing Cheetahs away in Africa. (They encourage people to use Donkeys instead of killing predators). So a Coyote should be no problem for them. I had a pup until last January (neighbour dog lured him across the highway one time too many) and my old dog was teaching him to bark at coyotes (wouldn't chase he let the old dog do that). Dogs might work (I know that they kept the coyotes out of the yard.)

Latest posts