Coyote Calls & Hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

Atimm693

Reaction score
I recently acquired a Savage Bmag in 17 WSM and am eager to bust some coyotes with it. They are thick around here.

What do you guys use for calls? I was leaning towards electronic, around 100 bucks.

I've messed with some predator calls and wasn't able to get them right. I played Baritone in middle school so I figured it would be easy to pick up, but that wasn't the case. :lol2:

Any other tips and tricks welcome, aside from shooting a few out of the tractor door, I have never actually tried to hunt them.

Setup, distraction and sound are the keys as far as I'm concerned. You need to setup with good visibility for you and some place it's hard for them to circle around behind. One of those flipping bunny type of distractions to keep them looking at that rather then at you. Sound is the ability make decent calls to bring them in, or really more to catch their attention. Mouth calls can pin point your location so a remote speaker type of call works best. Back in the days before many people called them, any mouth call would work and bring them in running. Foxes tended to be sneakier but sneakiest of all were bobcats.

My son has a fox pro banche. He has little luck (12 years old). People borrow it and have great success.

dun":2xh7bj01 said:
Setup, distraction and sound are the keys as far as I'm concerned. You need to setup with good visibility for you and some place it's hard for them to circle around behind. One of those flipping bunny type of distractions to keep them looking at that rather then at you. Sound is the ability make decent calls to bring them in, or really more to catch their attention. Mouth calls can pin point your location so a remote speaker type of call works best. Back in the days before many people called them, any mouth call would work and bring them in running. Foxes tended to be sneakier but sneakiest of all were bobcats.

I agree. Those things make the coyote drop their guard and come running in. My success rate over doubled when I started using a jack in the box. I'll set it up in the open and start calling. Once they get in close they will begin circling but usually once they see it in the field they drop their guard and charge it.

I once set it up in the middle of the field and walked back to my hide. When I reached my hide I looked back at the JiB and a coyote was only about 10 feet from it. Only problem with these things is hawks. It enticing them as well and you can lose your bunny.

I use fox pro as well you need the decoy here as well. Coyotes are easier in February or March around here as they become very territorial preparing for the upcoming litter.
Elevation and distance are your friend it doesn't take long to educate them.
Here they will start a large circle working their way in.
Bobcat grabbed and hauled butt with my decoy never seen him till he
Went over the pond dam.

My prefered call is a dirt hole with some sheep's wool smeared in hiawatha valley, and a shot of fox pee on the backing, with a heavy castor lure in a tree up wind.

Opps! you meant vocal calls.
Sorry can't help with that...

Atimm693":1ch1k2e4 said:
I recently acquired a Savage Bmag in 17 WSM and am eager to bust some coyotes with it. They are thick around here.

What do you guys use for calls? I was leaning towards electronic, around 100 bucks.

I've messed with some predator calls and wasn't able to get them right. I played Baritone in middle school so I figured it would be easy to pick up, but that wasn't the case. :lol2:

Any other tips and tricks welcome, aside from shooting a few out of the tractor door, I have never actually tried to hunt them.

My son got me a Bmag 17 wsm for Christmas. I'm glad he did, I've been curious about them, but it sure don't shoot like I thought it might. Flimsy stock doesn't do it any favors. I'm thinking I'll at least trim it and bed it, if not get a Boyd's to put it in. 1.5" at 50 yd is not what I would consider acceptable. It's got a cheap scope on it, although I checked the base/rings to make sure they were tight, that could be part of it. Have you shot yours yet? Fill us in on how it shoots. Apparently there are some that shoot better than others.

I have made a few sets for varmints here before, but it's thick in the woods and pastures are not very big. We have a number of coyotes around, but aren't often seen. Usually here them at night though. I haven't called anything in that I saw except for a hoot owl. Still trying though.

talltimber":2e2y053u said:
Atimm693":2e2y053u said:

My son got me a Bmag 17 wsm for Christmas. I'm glad he did, I've been curious about them, but it sure don't shoot like I thought it might. Flimsy stock doesn't do it any favors. I'm thinking I'll at least trim it and bed it, if not get a Boyd's to put it in. 1.5" at 50 yd is not what I would consider acceptable. It's got a cheap scope on it, although I checked the base/rings to make sure they were tight, that could be part of it. Have you shot yours yet? Fill us in on how it shoots. Apparently there are some that shoot better than others.

I have made a few sets for varmints here before, but it's thick in the woods and pastures are not very big. We have a number of coyotes around, but aren't often seen. Usually here them at night though. I haven't called anything in that I saw except for a hoot owl. Still trying though.

I won't actually have it until tomorrow. Guy says it shoots well though, I guess we'll see. Looks for good shooting weather this week, as long as the wind doesn't pick up.

talltimber":yjd9g9v4 said:
Atimm693":yjd9g9v4 said:

Turn your volume to about to halfway don't over call less is better in my experience

talltimber":icds9gys said:
Atimm693":icds9gys said:

I also have a .17 Mossberg. I can't kill anything with ballistic tips. Maybe they die 2 miles away but at 50 yards with hollow points it will drop anything in its tracks. If there is any wind at all and I mean any I can't hit the broad side of a big barn! Another thing I hate is mine is louder than heck.

Till-Hill":2rze2pcc said:
talltimber":2rze2pcc said:
Atimm693":2rze2pcc said:

I also have a .17 Mossberg. I can't kill anything with ballistic tips. Maybe they die 2 miles away but at 50 yards with hollow points it will drop anything in its tracks. If there is any wind at all and I mean any I can't hit the broad side of a big barn! Another thing I hate is mine is louder than heck.

.17 HMR or a centerfire?

17 WSM is a good bit hotter than HMR. Supposed to be less susceptible to wind drift as well.

Mainly I was looking for something that will reach out to 100yds and not blow out your eardrums like my AR. The terrain here limits most shots to 100 yds or so.

Won a 17 HMR got rid of it 22 mag beats it hands down as far as I am concerned. The 223 has virtually replaced my 22 mags and as cheap or cheaper to shoot for varmits.
Golden Bear 62 grain HP are rough on hogs.
The B mag is a bad little round.

Caustic Burno":19vdvp2z said:
Won a 17 HMR got rid of it 22 mag beats it hands down as far as I am concerned. The 223 has virtually replaced my 22 mags and as cheap or cheaper to shoot for varmits.

I shoot Hornady 55gr. Spire points in my .223 excellent round for hunting.

I like the 17 WSM also. Don't like the 17 HMR, nor the 17 Mach II
The only rifle I have found locally in 17WSM is the Savage and I don't like the bolt on it. It sure shoots good though.

Caustic Burno":simw9xdx said:
I have several rifles in 22 hornet but rarely shoot them for the same reason. 223 is much cheaper to shoot.

True Grit Farms":1vxd61wk said:
Caustic Burno":1vxd61wk said:

I shoot Hornady 55gr. Spire points in my .223 excellent round for hunting.

For deer I use Remington Hog Hammer 62 grain HP or Hornady American Whitetail 60 grain spire pt.
The Golden Bear take a hog out right now for 8 bucks a box.
I haven't lost one and don't care if I do different story on the deer.
http://m.hornady.com/store/American-Whitetail-Ammo

I am sold on this Ammo no matter the caliber

Atimm693":mnqgw97q said:
Till-Hill":mnqgw97q said:
talltimber":mnqgw97q said:

.17 HMR or a centerfire?

17 WSM is a good bit hotter than HMR. Supposed to be less susceptible to wind drift as well.

Mainly I was looking for something that will reach out to 100yds and not blow out your eardrums like my AR. The terrain here limits most shots to 100 yds or so.
Mine is HMR. It is a tack driver at 50 yards on a calm day I will admit. Too expensive to shoot as others have said. I'm going to trade it in for AR at some point.

Scent control is more important with coyotes than it is with deer. They almost always circle downwind before they commit. We hunt with a decoy dog or two, and if you've never tried it, then you are in for a treat. The dog eases a coyotes mind enough that they will let down their guard against scent and sight long enough for you to feed them a little lead. We've got a couple Blackmouth Cur dogs and a couple of Catahoula dogs. The E calls are great, but their popularity has created more and more educated coyotes. I use a Foxpro Shockwave, but around here, you have to be pretty creative with it. An E call combined with a few mouth calls and a dog is a lethal combination. They are fun to hunt, but if you've got a coyote problem, foot holds and snares are the only way to go. If you really want a rush, try a spot and stalk hunt. I've tried hundreds of times, and was even successful twice!

Farm Fence Solutions":l1nq1bk4 said:
The E calls are great, but their popularity has created more and more educated coyotes. !
I agree that's one of the biggest problems now.

Latest posts