cows

Help Support CattleToday:

OK folks. I am so tired of his poop and rudeness.
On another thread, I complimented him on one of his cows and asked a valid question in a polite manner (which was ignored). The question was about how he got started in cattle, did he show FFA, 4-H or what. I am honestly curious because he has been quick to point out how many cattle he owns and how he has been in the cattle business since 9th grade (maybe longer, I forget).

So I looked him up. He is 26 years old. He graduated high school in 2004. So if he started 9th grade in 1999 or 2000, he has owned cattle a whopping 9 to 10 years. He graduated from college in 2010 (finance degree).
I looked him up and found him on Steer planet and Facebook. His name is Ryan ****. He is 26 years old and works for a real estate holding company who happens to have a member (Vice President) on it's investment committee with the same last name.

According to his Linked in profile, he started his shorthorn business (X ***)in June 2011.

Massey135, maybe someday you will realize that your alligator mouth will get your mockingbird a$$ in trouble.

What's your point? I would have willingly told you any of that if you were that curious.
Again, I think transparency is great and exactly what this forum needs.

Massey135":2zplmq3r said:
What's your point? I would have willingly told you any of that if you were that curious.
Again, I think transparency is great and exactly what this forum needs.

Really? I'll ask again.

chippie":2zplmq3r said:
Massey135":2zplmq3r said:
IMAG0450.jpg

Interesting, the calf is marked just like her dam. Thank you for posting the pics. Good looking cattle.

OK, I have a question. I've plowed through this entire thread and my question is:

You mentioned your years of experience with cattle and how many you have owned . Were you in 4-H or FFA and did you show cattle?
Change that to 2 questions. How did you get started in cattle and how old were you? oops. make that 3.
happy.gif

Well boys and girls I must say I learned something from this thread. I learned that we shouldn't of worked so hard to breed horns out of our simmies. :nod: :dunce:

Horns and the skull are composed of boney tissue with blood and nerve supplies. Dehorning is actually surgically amputating or fracturing the bone. Surely that wouldn't hurt, cause stress, or bleed.

http://www.dehorning.com/faqs/
Q. Is dehorning painful?

A. Yes. The corneal nerve, running from behind the eye to the base of the horn, supplies sensation to the horn. Studies have shown that dehorning stimulates both an acute pain response and a delayed inflammatory reaction.2

According to Dr. Todd Duffield, a researcher at Ontario Veterinary College at the University of Guelph, "With the possible exception of caustic paste, calves perceive and react to acute pain during dehorning, regardless of method, when no local anesthetic is used." 2

The American Veterinary Medical Association recognizes that dehorning causes pain, and recommends the use of procedures and practices, including approved medications, to eliminate or mitigate discomfort.1

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18085156
There were significant differences between the SLA and LA groups in peak plasma cortisol levels (p = 0.011) and in occurrence of stress behaviours (p = 0.003). Sedation induced by intramuscular administration of xylazine in conjunction with local anaesthesia with lidocaine is considered the most suitable method of anaesthesia when dehorning adult cattle. Local anaesthesia with lidocaine alone was least suitable.

So what type anaesthesia did you used to dehorning your cattle?

now fellas, ol Massey can get real quite when you hammer him over the head....If anyone doubts that look at how the last post on the heifer bull thread that Lon posted.....Aint heard a peep out him after he got hit over the head with the facts that came from the Brahman Association website!

houstoncutter":223w4xnl said:
now fellas, ol Massey can get real quite when you hammer him over the head....If anyone doubts that look at how the last post on the heifer bull thread that Lon posted.....Aint heard a peep out him after he got hit over the head with the facts that came from the Brahman Association website!
Silence is Golden, and hammers are metal... :lol2: :lol2:

Commercial cattleman don't surgically dehorn nor do they use anesthesia. I see, how you having no experience in the matter, could think that your source would somehow solidify your argument.

Again, since you've never dehorned, your 'estimate' of the severity of dehorning is exaggerated considerably; PETA like.

Chippie, hold your britches. Id like to answer when I'm not having to peck on my phone.

So are you saying that I should dehorning my calves when I am not experienced with dehorning? I suspected that you were just making up the stories to boost up your ego.

Massey135":13206tnu said:
Commercial cattleman don't surgically dehorn nor do they use anesthesia. I see, how you having no experience in the matter, could think that your source would somehow solidify your argument.

Again, since you've never dehorned, your 'estimate' of the severity of dehorning is exaggerated considerably; PETA like.

Chippie, hold your britches. Id like to answer when I'm not having to peck on my phone.

You really don't have to join PETA to have an interest in reducing stress in cattle. You apparently missed the big push to reduce stress across the board. Cattle handling methods and facilities, weaning methods, etc, have changed.

Stressed cattle have higher cortisol levels which reduces their immunity, which is the underlying cause of pneumonia, etc, especially in feedlots. There has also been a push to improve docility, as more docile cattle are less likely to react stressfully to your abuse.

You expressed ignorance of heat stress on another thread, so I won't go over that again.

And from a marketing perspective, consumers care how the animals are treated. Smart businessmen satisfy consumers. Here you are on a public forum broadcasting to the world against all evidence, that dehorning does not bother cattle. Great material for the PETA you despise.

Maybe we ought to strap you down and remove a few body parts.

We can't avoid all pain and discomfort, but it should be as limited as possible, which benefits both the animal and the pocketbook.

Those who really don't care one bit about animal welfare should not own them.

Massey135":4pspekmx said:

:lol2: All of sudden, book learning and literature isn't worth a dang? I'm trying to keep this to the topic. But son, your hopping the fence so much you'd give a white tail in gun season a run for his money.

You picked a really bad side of the argument to be on. You might want to step back and see if your answer supports your case or the opposition...... No, almost no one uses anesthesia. Do you think that will increase or lessen the pain? Let me break it down for you. What the above demonstrates is that there is increased cortisol released (a stress hormone) with decreasing levels of anesthesia. When none, is used... there will be even more.

So when you DO NOT use anesthesia, cattle will have INCREASED pain and stress. If you don't believe me, we can do a trial. Pick a bone. Since you have mirror images of each body part, we can deaden one and not the other.

When hot or dry conditions occur, I don't want a calf anymore stressed than they have to be. I also don't want to run a calf through a shoot more than I have to. So, I'm not going to delay dehorning or tipping either. I have lost a calf to blood loss as a blood clot was knocked loose. I've seen dehorned cattle become infected. Anything that knocks a calf's appetite is not beneficial.

[youtube]<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KTwnwbG9YLE?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTwnwbG9YLE&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]

Latest posts