cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Massey I know people that feel the same way you do and I kind of wish I would have listened to them. I bought a couple of Hereford bulls last year and before I bought them some guys I trust their opinion told me that they would only buy a horned Hereford bull. They told me a Hereford is not a real bull if it doesn't have horns. I didnt listen and bought two polled Hereford bulls and although this year has been a rough one rain and grass wise I am not very impressed with my polled Hereford bulls. Later I went to buy some Star 5 cows and saw one of the best Hereford bulls I had ever seen you could sit a cafeteria food tray flat on his back and he was horned by the way and I asked where he got it. Thinking this had to be some high dollar bull from Oklahoma or Wyoming or something. Come to find out he bought it from my neighbor I went to school with that I didnt look at because he has Horned Hereford cattle. Needless to say one of my Polled Hereford bulls will be exchanged this fall and probably the other one next fall I am going with horns.

Pretty good detective work. I will say both of them have nice cattle and yes 1 of you are correct. I take it that you guys agree with Horned over Polled when it comes to Herefords.

u4411clb":31j0ct72 said:
Pretty good detective work. I will say both of them have nice cattle and yes 1 of you are correct. I take it that you guys agree with Horned over Polled when it comes to Herefords.
i would have at the time i bought from Burt,,, but not so much now.. though im partial to horned

I prefer the superior animal as a whole, not just based on horned vs. polled, much like Ryan was saying. It's true there are exceptional polled bulls out there and exceptional horned bulls, as a whole I'm inclined to believe there are more exceptional horned bulls than polled. :2cents:

With that said, there is a fella on here that breeds some pretty dang good polled Hereford cattle here in the SE.... on fescue to boot! :clap: He's in Kentucky....

cow pollinater":bdjii33r said:
Massey135":bdjii33r said:
Correct my thinking if its wrong, but the overwhelming majority of commercial cowherds are homozygous polled..and homozygous black at that. My thinking is that these people should be indifferent about using a horned bull just as they should be indifferent about using a red bull. The resulting offspring should be black and polled regardless..no?
Now hang on here. Weren't you the one that was trying to tell me that char was the way to go as a terminal over sh/an cows a few minutes ago? If you understand that the best market is for black influenced calves then I'd assume that you can understand why a char over a shorthorn/angus is a bad idea.
I'm back to thinking that you don't know what you want.
Since you felt the need to drag it into a post on another thread... Angus\shorthorn crossed with a char looks like a big old char calf. If you're lucky it will show red influence. You wiped out the black influence with the shorthorn... It's obvious that you read more than you think so read about genetics some. When you cross dominant black with RED and then cover it with WHITE, it get's pretty hard to see the black influence... especially around the nose which will likely be pink and therefore a major indicator to any purchaser that the calf has very little black influence...

Massey135":3kp9y4fi said:
Charolais aren't white. Nice try tho.
A real char bull will put a pink nose on anything that isn't dominant black. I don't expect that you've found that out for yourself but you will in time.

That's not what you said though.

Several of the commercial cows I have are Gert x brangus cross and even some red Angus x brangus cross. I do get some dark straw colored or creme calves but most are still smokes.

A char bull over some black baldies will give you the same colors . Obviously w/ some being motle faced.

u4411clb":16o8r0hg said:
I take it that you guys agree with Horned over Polled when it comes to Herefords.

In respect to Herefords I've always heard the old saying, "you knock the horns off you knock the a$$ off". I prefer polled due to our local market but if I was looking at a Hereford would entertain horned. :2cents:

J&D Cattle":axwdl09u said:
u4411clb":axwdl09u said:
I take it that you guys agree with Horned over Polled when it comes to Herefords.

In respect to Herefords I've always heard the old saying, "you knock the horns off you knock the a$$ off". I prefer polled due to our local market but if I was looking at a Hereford would entertain horned. :2cents:
that old saying aint got the punch it use to have......viewtopic.php?f=5&t=77505

ALACOWMAN":1pijfql0 said:
J&D Cattle":1pijfql0 said:
u4411clb":1pijfql0 said:

that old saying aint got the punch it use to have......viewtopic.php?f=5&t=77505

After looking at that bull I'd say the old saying has no merit. That bull is a dandy.

You'll pay 5x what an equivalent horned bull would cost for that polled bull. Not to mention it'll take you all year to locate him. Same w/ the shorthorns.

Massey135":2shd2i41 said:
You'll pay 5x what an equivalent horned bull would cost for that polled bull. Not to mention it'll take you all year to locate him. Same w/ the shorthorns.

Where you see a problem, I see opportunity. Somewhere on here there was something stated about demand. If it is legitimate reasoning, then I would think it should be applied consistently.

Massey135":2gad25lx said:
no id just call George Queener over in Ga. and pick one up... but i do agree with you about shorthorn, their rare in the south........... mostly do to popularity

Massey135":1045hc2i said:

I've never shopped for a Hereford but I find it hard to believe that it would take 5X.

Latest posts