cows

Help Support CattleToday:

I dont know anyone that dehorns in hot weather. Dehorning simple thing after first frost its a money loser if theres flys around. If your worried about a cows feelings you havent been around enough cows. They should be over it in couple of days unless they have been dehor.ed in hot weather and the flys are laying eggs in it.

salebarn junkie":36cotgm9 said:
I dont know anyone that dehorns in hot weather. Dehorning simple thing after first frost its a money loser if theres flys around. If your worried about a cows feelings you havent been around enough cows. They should be over it in couple of days unless they have been dehor.ed in hot weather and the flys are laying eggs in it.

You saying that a cow won't remember what you do to her?

I always use use lidocaine when dehorning whether burning or gouging, Dad taught me where to inject it (there is a small hole in the skull just above the eye) and it is fairly inexpensive and after a few minutes their head is numb and I promise you it is much less stressfull for the animal. Sure they have pain when it wears off but it's not nearly as detrimental as the pain at the moment of dehorning.

ohiosteve":15javjxa said:
I always use use lidocaine when dehorning whether burning or gouging, Dad taught me where to inject it (there is a small hole in the skull just above the eye) and it is fairly inexpensive and after a few minutes their head is numb and I promise you it is much less stressfull for the animal. Sure they have pain when it wears off but it's not nearly as detrimental as the pain at the moment of dehorning.

Good post steve. If i could i would use a local when i tattoo my bulls. Some of them don't seem to mind but the ones that do really bother me. I hate doing stuff to a bull that he might remember later...........and i have my reasons!

3waycross":a00iu6s7 said:
salebarn junkie":a00iu6s7 said:

You saying that a cow won't remember what you do to her?

No iam saying i dont care. Being over it means back to gaining weight. Unlike some members on here iam not best friends with my cows there only there to make money.

You do not have to be best friends with your cattle to take care of them properly.
It is called good management to care for your livestock in the best way possible. And very often it pays off in the long run.

sim.-ang.king":1hkp88m7 said:
houstoncutter":1hkp88m7 said:
now fellas, ol Massey can get real quite when you hammer him over the head....If anyone doubts that look at how the last post on the heifer bull thread that Lon posted.....Aint heard a peep out him after he got hit over the head with the facts that came from the Brahman Association website!
Silence is Golden, and hammers are metal... :lol2: :lol2:
Well I'm going to ignore his BS from now on. Hopefully everyone else will do the same. Ol' Massey will become invisible. :lol2: :mrgreen: :lol2:

salebarn junkie":2wi2jrwv said:
No iam saying i dont care. Being over it means back to gaining weight. Unlike some members on here iam not best friends with my cows there only there to make money.
Did you also own the packing house where the holsteins were being prodded, poked and pulled around with a bobcat??? They were only there to make the owner money. (Insert a$$hole emoticon here).

TexasBred":1ny1n8z7 said:
sim.-ang.king":1ny1n8z7 said:
houstoncutter":1ny1n8z7 said:
now fellas, ol Massey can get real quite when you hammer him over the head....If anyone doubts that look at how the last post on the heifer bull thread that Lon posted.....Aint heard a peep out him after he got hit over the head with the facts that came from the Brahman Association website!
Silence is Golden, and hammers are metal... :lol2: :lol2:
Well I'm going to ignore his BS from now on. Hopefully everyone else will do the same. Ol' Massey will become invisible. :lol2: :mrgreen: :lol2:
That was kind of my thinking as well... has been for awhile. My only problem with it is that it's kind of dangerous to let that kind of ignorance run rampant without saying something. Someone might actually listen to him. :(
Maybe if we just kindly sugest, "don't listen to Massey" when we see the influance and otherwise ignore?

TexasBred":3v2s0ucs said:
salebarn junkie":3v2s0ucs said:
Did you also own the packing house where the holsteins were being prodded, poked and pulled around with a bobcat??? They were only there to make the owner money. (Insert a$$hole emoticon here).
Soooooo much easier when they work with me instead of against me. I don't own any pet cattle but I sure try to teat them kind. I walk dairy cattle every morning and I can tell when a new milker gets hired or when the same old suspect is beating on the cows. Punishing them is punishing yourself. They will make it harder on you next time.

TexasBred":2vhv1n2k said:
salebarn junkie":2vhv1n2k said:

I do what needs to be done as fast an easy as possible and my cattle are under a lot less stress than these people that constatly messing with them. I never saw the vidio your talking about so dont know what i would have done.

Massey135":gqvsx0vl said:
George Queener is in the Angus business now.

There's a pretty sizable shorthorn breeder not too far from ala, in Seymour.

What part of there are linebred red shorthorns, even breeders that are focusing solely on red genetics, do you not understand? Solid red British calf will beat a hard up strait limo at the salebarn every time.

Maybe not 5x, but considerably more. I watched both Hereford bull sales at Ft worth this past year. The prices might have been similar, but the quality sure wasn't.

Take $3-5 grand and go bull shopping. There's disparaging quality differences in polled vs horned (hereford & shorthorn) at those prices.
yes he is,, and been in hereford and braford.. but he can still put you on some polled hereford,, nice google though,, opps! im sorry, i meant try

chippie":y5dytt7h said:
You do not have to be best friends with your cattle to take care of them properly.
It is called good management to care for your livestock in the best way possible. And very often it pays off in the long run.
Thats exactly right... Peta be dammed... good cattleman are gonna take the best care of their animals... its common sense

Latest posts