Cows won't eat Cotton Seed

Help Support CattleToday:

Andrew

Reaction score
Hello,
I just brought about 1ton of cotton seed from the local gin and the cows won't even eat it. This is the first time I ever give them cotton seed. They are accustomed to getting a bag or two of range cubes every week or so.
I put out the cotton seed in the ground and they sniffed it and left it there.

Any ideas how to get them to eat it? The Gin guy said they've been tested at 37% protein and now I have a ton of it and sure would like to use it.

Thanks,
Andrew

I believe they will come around to eating them in a day or two. We feed ours cottonseed cubes which are the same but have mollasses and some trace nutrients. They come in at 38% protein. They cost more than range cubes but come out cheaper per pound of protein fed.

We used to put it out on top of the hay as we unrolled it. It didn't take them long to figure out it was good to eat. It's the cubes most likely that have them snubbing the CS. After all, who wants a diet of bran muffins after they've eaten steak?

Mix in a sack of sweet feed or something like that, It will only take two or three feedings, n they will eat it without anything. Be aware cottonseed can be over feed also. Its just a complete change of feed, n the will be over it in no time, just mix some seet feed with it, or steer feed after about 2 or 3 feedings u won't need to mix anything with it.

tryinhard

Andrew":auygqbqs said:
Hello,
I just brought about 1ton of cotton seed from the local gin and the cows won't even eat it. This is the first time I ever give them cotton seed. They are accustomed to getting a bag or two of range cubes every week or so.

Thanks,
Andrew

Therein lies your problem, along with the probability that it doesn't smell like grain. It's going to be difficult to mix cotton seed with range cubes, and the fact that they are out on pasture doesn't help. The only thing I could suggest would be to add a little grain and molasses so everything sticks together and can't be sorted out. Probably not feasible, but there it is.

I had the same problem, just get a jug of molasses and pour some of it over your feed.

Thanks a lot. I will try the suggestions and see how it goes.

BTW: I tried the cotton seeds myself and they taste great. I cracked a few open and tried them. They are better raw than sunflower or pumpkin seeds.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew":30dfcnnn said:
BTW: I tried the cotton seeds myself and they taste great. I cracked a few open and tried them. They are better raw than sunflower or pumpkin seeds.

Andrew

Well, there you go - if you can't get your cows to eat it you've got a lifetime supply of a tasty snack! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry, I simply couldn't resist. :oops:

It takes mine a day to a week to decide they like cottonseed. Mix it half and half at first, maybe even a lower mix if necessary. I've never fed it straight; always mixed it.

Andrew":22jm239s said:

Thanks,
Andrew

Wonder if it causes temporary sterility in humans like it does in bulls

dun

dun":2ptqgvr1 said:
Andrew":2ptqgvr1 said:

Thanks,
Andrew

Wonder if it causes temporary sterility in humans like it does in bulls

dun

:shock:

When starting cattle on cottonseed, I mix it with a sweet feed. After just a few days they will eat pure cottonseed.

Latest posts