Cows with slick hair others not so slick

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross

Reaction score
Why is it that out of the same herd of cattle, same breeding lines some look awesome and some look like chia pets until the middle of June, same vacs, worming and minerals.

the sooner an animal slicks off after the winter is usually an indication of a better adapted animal.

My herd is the same way, some scruffy looking with lots of Winter hair still and some getting sleek. Mine just 2 days on grass will look good in two weeks or so. If not might have some other problems.

KNERSIE":2l9erxye said:
the sooner an animal slicks off after the winter is usually an indication of a better adapted animal.

...or a more feed-efficient, easier keeper. It's usually my hardest keepers that are still rough coated at this time of year, when everyone else has slicked off.

Sometimes it's nutrition they're lacking, sometimes it's minerals. I've found a shot of Multimin and wormer usually turns mine around.

milkmaid":2mba0q23 said:
KNERSIE":2mba0q23 said:

...or a more feed-efficient, easier keeper. It's usually my hardest keepers that are still rough coated at this time of year, when everyone else has slicked off.

Sometimes it's nutrition they're lacking, sometimes it's minerals. I've found a shot of Multimin and wormer usually turns mine around.

your better adapted animals will always be your easiest keeping as well, we were saying the same thing, you just put it better than I did.

I agree with all the above (health, nutrition, minerals, easy keeping) but it is also GENETICS. They may be same bloodlines, but they inherit different genes (obviously) so some are just good slick haired early.

Latest posts