COWS WITH A HALF TAIL

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have be seeing cows come through the sale with the bottom half of their tails gone.Seems like mostly red cows and some Holtins.Is this caused by a some kind of wolf worm, tail root are what?Does antone know what causes this and how it would effect a cow for brood purposes or meat? Thanks.

[email protected]

> Well, My first thought is it may have froze off. Last calving season we had some very frigid days, and a few calves ears froze off, and even one or 2 tails. Its not that uncommon in cold climates to see that.Not unless another calf has chewed on anothers tail? Those are my first thoughts.

I have be seeing cows come
> through the sale with the bottom
> half of their tails gone.Seems
> like mostly red cows and some
> Holtins.Is this caused by a some
> kind of wolf worm, tail root are
> what?Does antone know what causes
> this and how it would effect a cow
> for brood purposes or meat?
> Thanks.

High endophyte invested fescue causes loss of blood circulation and can cause the lower part of the tail to fall off, it also causes foot problems usually referred to as "fescue foot". In parabone and parallel milk parlors the lower portion is sometimes cut off, and sometimes almost all of the tail are removed. It was originally thought that it promoted cleanlines but it's more for convenience when placing the milker on from between the hind legs rather then the side.

dunmovin farms

> I have be seeing cows come
> through the sale with the bottom
> half of their tails gone.Seems
> like mostly red cows and some
> Holtins.Is this caused by a some
> kind of wolf worm, tail root are
> what?Does antone know what causes
> this and how it would effect a cow
> for brood purposes or meat?
> Thanks.

My dad has had three charl. cows lose half their tales this month.Looks like someone sliced them off.No one has a answer for it around here (KY).All theories and solutions welcome.

Endophyte infected fescue, cold weather and a lack of tolerence. Do a google search for fescue foot toxicity.

dunmovin farms

> My dad has had three charl. cows
> lose half their tales this
> month.Looks like someone sliced
> them off.No one has a answer for
> it around here (KY).All theories
> and solutions welcome.

dunmuvin Thankyou for your response.One more question.If this is the problem would the ends of their half tails bleed.Its not cold here so it cant be that they froze.What did you mean by low tolerance.

If fescue toxicity is the problem there will be very little if any bleeding. Basicly the extremity of the yail falls of because of the lack of blood circulation to the tail. Endophyte infected fescue is toxic to varying degrees depending on the part of the growth cycle it is in. Some animals can handle the toxicity with very little ill effect other then poorer gain or milk production then would be expected. Others are very sensitive to it, i.e. low tolerence to the endophyte. It's these animals that are most at risk to develop fescue foot, tails falling off, hoofs falling off, etc. There are hundreds of internet sites that can give you a much better explanation and effects then I can. One herd near us bought 70 plus cows from NE. Within a month, tails started falling off, they only ended up with maybe a dozen or less cows from that purchase that are still in the herd after only a couple of years. In our fescue pastures we interseeded clover to dilute the endophyte, it helped enough that our weaning weights went up 100 lbs nearly across the board.

dunmovin farms

> dunmuvin Thankyou for your
> response.One more question.If this
> is the problem would the ends of
> their half tails bleed.Its not
> cold here so it cant be that they
> froze.What did you mean by low
> tolerance.

Latest posts