cows to fat

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I believe that my brood cows are getting to fat. I only have like 2.5 acres for them to graze so I keep hay in a round feeder 24-7. Also give them just a bit of grain every night. If they were in a large pastor they would still eat all the time right? So what should I do to get them down a few pounds? Their back bones still show but not the way they did.

> I believe that my brood cows are
> getting to fat. I only have like
> 2.5 acres for them to graze so I
> keep hay in a round feeder 24-7.
> Also give them just a bit of grain
> every night. If they were in a
> large pastor they would still eat
> all the time right? So what should
> I do to get them down a few
> pounds? Their back bones still
> show but not the way they did. Iam kinda new to cattle to.I will share with you some lessons I learned.

When I purchased my cows I thought they were kinda thin so I fed lots of hay and grain. I learned how I could have killed with kindness. My sweet cow. She is very well trained..When we tried to AI her she would,t take that was clue 1. The vet said she had alot of back fat, but didn't tell me what that was. There just isn't alot out there on the details of raising cattle. I found a book A GUIDE TO RAISING BEEF CATTLE, A story animal handbook and it has been my bible for my cows. The author is Heather Smith Thomas. Hope this helps some Cindy

[email protected]

Latest posts