Cows sucking each other

Help Support CattleToday:

jld

Reaction score
Every year since we used a twin bull, who we would catch sneaking up behind the cows and sucking, we have had some heifers and cows that will do the same. We have culled most of them, but this year we have 2 young cows that we have caught sneaking up behind another cow and sucking. Does anyone have a suggestion for a cure? We have tried those weaing plates with the spikes, but they seem to end up falling our or falling apart.

several years back i had one that would suck herself. craziest thing you ever saw. LOL

jt

When we first started the cattle business, we sometimes placed nursing cows with hiefers for breeding on summer pasture. These cows would be a bit smaller, or late calvers.
Enevitably we would have a hiefer who would get into the sucking habbit. We would bring her home and corral her for months, costing us money. When it came time to start calving, she would get released back into the herd. Understand, there would be atleast 6 months between being with the herd. And she would start sucking again. We learned three things from this right quick

1. a hiefer never looses the urger to suck a cow once she starts after weaning.
2. ship that blasted cow who sucks PDQ
3.never put nursing cows in with hiefers. Our hiefers are on their own until they are 18 months or more. When they are weaned, they do not go back into the main herd population until they are preg checked the following fall. This has elimantiated the problem.

Few years ago, we were short a bull. So we had some cows with first calves at foot. The calves were smaller. The previous year we had a bear attack the cow protecting her young calf on one of the pastures. Bears got bad. So, in a pinch, we placed these young calves and their mommas in with the hiefers. Come July, while i was driving home, I passed the hiefer herd. There was our best hiefer sucking on my favorite cow. And her calf was so runty. This cow was a heavy milker having some holstien in her blood. Now we know why she was our best hiefer. She was pretty taste grilled on the BBQ.
Lesson learned once again

Latest posts