Cows Save Blue

Help Support CattleToday:

Deepsouth":1bayu6i2 said:
reeler":1bayu6i2 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1bayu6i2 said:
Glad Blue is healing, a heeler's gonna heal.
Perfect quote! Could you give an update on Blue? I also have a beloved (red) heeler, (thus the name, reeler). Heelers are as tough as they are loyal!

Dang reeler I thought you were a fisherman.
Ron I agree with you about not talking to the neighbor about it. I had 3 pit bulls kill one of my dogs once. I knew who's they were but I didn't catch them at it. A.few weeks later they jumped another dog of mine. This time I caught them but didn't get a good shot so I just fired high so as not to wound them and they run home. The second dog died and the next day I went hunting. A few days later I was out by the road and the dogs owner stopped and asked if I'd seen his dogs that they were missing. I told him that was strange that I'd also lost a couple of dogs. He said probably someone stealing dogs. I said maybe so.
Don't say anything to them about it just do what needs to be done.

Deepsouth:

No one in the neighborhood of my farm is aware that Blue was attacked. I have been totally silent.
I cannot act to protect Blue if the owner of the dog has the slightest suspicion that I have a motive for disposing of his dog. If the dog goes missing in the future. I do not want it to cross the owner's mind that I had any reason to be the cause. Nothing I could ever say to the owner would lead him to dispose of his dog or kennel him on a permanent basis. Confronting the owner would provide one assurance: I would be his first suspect should ill ever fall upon his dog.
There are times in life when a solution is a one man show. This is one of those times. No matter how much value I place on Blue, I have other lifestyle components in my world that I do not want to place in jeopardy by careless actions just to look courageous.
To make a remark that you would help the owner find his dog if he goes missing would be about the same as buying him the gasoline so he can burn my hay barn.

[/quote]
Perfect quote! Could you give an update on Blue? I also have a beloved (red) heeler, (thus the name, reeler). Heelers are as tough as they are loyal![/quote]

Dang reeler I thought you were a fisherman. [/quote]
Sorry Deepsouth, my husband is a fisherman, I'm just an animal nut :mrgreen:[/quote]

Your husband! :shock:
You got me again, I thought you were a man. :hide:

Dang reeler I thought you were a fisherman.
Ron I agree with you about not talking to the neighbor about it. I had 3 pit bulls kill one of my dogs once. I knew who's they were but I didn't catch them at it. A.few weeks later they jumped another dog of mine. This time I caught them but didn't get a good shot so I just fired high so as not to wound them and they run home. The second dog died and the next day I went hunting. A few days later I was out by the road and the dogs owner stopped and asked if I'd seen his dogs that they were missing. I told him that was strange that I'd also lost a couple of dogs. He said probably someone stealing dogs. I said maybe so.
Don't say anything to them about it just do what needs to be done.[/quote]

Deepsouth:

No one in the neighborhood of my farm is aware that Blue was attacked. I have been totally silent.
I cannot act to protect Blue if the owner of the dog has the slightest suspicion that I have a motive for disposing of his dog. If the dog goes missing in the future. I do not want it to cross the owner's mind that I had any reason to be the cause. Nothing I could ever say to the owner would lead him to dispose of his dog or kennel him on a permanent basis. Confronting the owner would provide one assurance: I would be his first suspect should ill ever fall upon his dog.
There are times in life when a solution is a one man show. This is one of those times. No matter how much value I place on Blue, I have other lifestyle components in my world that I do not want to place in jeopardy by careless actions just to look courageous.
To make a remark that you would help the owner find his dog if he goes missing would be about the same as buying him the gasoline so he can burn my hay barn.[/quote]

Your exact right Ron. The neighbor that I had dog trouble with and I still get along fine. Although I did see he got a new pit bull recently. I may have to go hunting again.

Keep Blue contained. Take a pan of gravy and hot dogs down where the attack was, add some Malrin Fly Bait. When the pan is empty the dogs will not return. No noise, no dogs.

Keep Blue contained. Take a pan of gravy and hot dogs down where the attack was, add some Malrin Fly Bait. When the pan is empty the dogs will not return. No noise, no dogs.

in many places that's illegal, while just shooting them isn't because you're protecting your livestock. you don't need a 50 cal to take a dog down.

I understand where your coming from Ron, (and others) about wanting to just shoot and bury the dogs and be done with it.
Buts let's remember, it is not completely the dogs fault. The owner is to blame for turning them out to roam other peoples property. Dogs are just being dogs when they lack supervision.
This person will just get another dog or two and the cycle will repeat itself over and over again. I don't know the solution. But I don't think just killing them is going to solve the problem.

Deepsouth:

To make a remark that you would help the owner find his dog if he goes missing would be about the same as buying him the gasoline so he can burn my hay barn.[/quote]

I like your line of thought..very sneaky and clever.. however posting about it on a forum maybe isn't the best idea..

SSS is the only way to handle this and it sounds like Ron is aware not to say a word to anybody near his farm.

After a few dogs go missing, especially if they have any value at all, the dogs will be kept at home. After 25 years our neighbors are keeping their dogs at home... When a new neighbor moves in they need 'training'..

Decades ago, we had a family farm pet that started running with other dogs.
Dad said it was like they turned back into wolves they were so feral.
the neighbor told us that he saw him running deer and when dad confirmed the claim he managed to find his own dog in the milk house and dropped him.
He didn't want any more trouble than had already been noticed. Deer today, he knew that neighbors stock could be tomorrow.

Sounds a little like you have a pack problem.
Not sure if they are all owned by one person but there really isn't much to stop this behavior except some bullets sadly.

I hope you get them Ron and your aim be true.

Head shoot it, then late at night take and put it out on a road. You might want to drive over its head a time or two to make it look like road kill. Disappearing dogs make people want to know why and start looking around. Road killed dogs and people just think dang dog should have stayed off the road.

Inyati I'd go ahead and cut ol' Blue.....pretty obvious he's not a fighter and those other dogs are going to make sure he gets no lovin' either. :lol2: :lol2: :lol: :lol: