The cows out on a dreary Sunday.

Dec_08_cornstalks_010.jpg

A Hoff Westwind cow

Dec_08_cornstalks_004.jpg

A Traveler 7111 cow

Dec_08_cornstalks_008.jpg

The red contingent!
Mac-

These pictures are significant evidence that cornstalks DO produce a reasonable amount of nutrition to sustain Body Condition during "dreary" times!

Where is that new barn of yours in the pictures? Have your winter feeding chores been made easier by the implementation of that great "labor-saving" structure?

DOC HARRIS

Happy Sunday Doc: The calves are still in the barn till the cows come home. :) I have two spots to keep them away from home and keep heifers where they will pasture next summer and the bulls/steers a couple of miles from here. Final round of shots are next Saturday. Until then they are pretty snug out there.

Ask and you shall recieve. Those cornstalks cost me 3 boxes of oranges from the FFA for two months Grazing! And 4 new rolls of polywire and 50 more electric Step-in fenceposts (slightly damaged and very discounted)

Functional looking cattle, most of them appear to be deep bodied. IMO, the Hereford is the best looking of the lot :) and frankly not just because she is a herf. I like her phenotype, especially as compared to the cow right behind her.

I dearly love that hereford too! I think that she is probably one of the more efficient cows I have. She came from Cooksleys in Nebraska. The Shorthorn is only a two year old and she is a shorthorn. :) (Just kidding Gary)

Nice looking cattle and pictures. Really deep cow in the foreground.

Looks like the corn has been harvested with some sort of aggressive knife-roll cornhead. Not many stalks standing. Are they just looking for grain or eating some of the leaves also?

There are also standing unharvested stalks in the background - is the corn still too wet to harvest?

Good plan and nice cows. As long as the weather permits those cows will maintain on the husks and leaves, probably not much corn there. A few kernels on the bits of cob.
A reminder, the weight those cows are carrying is not from that cut corn it's from what they have been on over Summer and Fall.

SRBeef":3fgredek said:
Nice looking cattle and pictures. Really deep cow in the foreground.

Looks like the corn has been harvested with some sort of aggressive knife-roll cornhead. Not many stalks standing. Are they just looking for grain or eating some of the leaves also?

There are also standing unharvested stalks in the background - is the corn still too wet to harvest?

Thats a bit of an optical illusion. That part of the field is higher and there is a ditch between the cows and it. It was harvested at the same time.

Latest posts