Cows on the rail

Help Support CattleToday:

If you buy enough yearling bulls you will eventually end up with one as TexasRancher describes.
Or rent. Had this red Limi bull dropped off by the neighbor. It could clear a 5ft fence standing flat footed. I had to apologize to my kids about leaving a gate open when I saw him leep!!🤣🤣
Crow is bitter!!

Why are you using a bull like that? Give me your reasoning.
Figured someone would ask me a question like that. There's a big story that comes along with this bull...let's just say I KNOW God brought him to me. He almost died outside of the promised land and he came free-and-clear. At 20 months old he looked like a cow....he's has cost me about $200. in fence repairs to date....but I wouldn't sell him for anything under $10,000. He's that special to me. He's majestic and huge now I guess between $1,800 to 2,200. pounds depending on weather and conditions. It's not that he's unsafe, he's even better as he's matured...it's just if he wants to do something or go somewhere...he will. (much like me, stubborn). He can be a bad boy. He's never left the outer confinement fencing ever (which is where rubber meets the road)...but he's done things on the inside confinement areas...where I had to address those weaker areas. I wasn't expecting to run with this bull...but he's turned out well, great breeder, big ball sack, and he's so gentle with all the cows (except his sons/steer) and is a great father.

When I was in college, I was hungry, I once lived on $12. for 3 months, I ate mostly 19 cent beef liver and macaroni and cheese (10 to 12 boxes for $1), prepared without butter or milk. I always had a greasy oil stain across the top my pants from balancing myself over the edge of the garbage dumpster's where the grocery store put in the spoiled outdated food. I had no winter coat for New York, and my shoes were duck-taped around and around the soles over the tops around and around....to keep the slushy cold water out of the cracked soles...but I always seemed to still get my socks wet going to class.

…And that's why I kept my bull God gave to me and invested in him…he was hungry and dehydrated when he came to the promised land…I will not let him down….we share similar backgrounds of knowing what it's like to be alone, hungry and on our missions.

When I was in college, I was hungry, I once lived on $12. for 3 months, I ate mostly 19 cent beef liver and macaroni and cheese (10 to 12 boxes for $1), prepared without butter or milk.

…And that's why I kept my bull God gave to me and invested in him…he was hungry and dehydrated when he came to the promised land…I will not let him down….we share similar backgrounds of knowing what it's like to be alone, hungry and on our missions.
Been there... When I left college I had no debt because of mac and cheese, and taco Tuesdays.

So good luck with the bull regardless of where he comes from.

Been there... When I left college I had no debt because of mac and cheese, and taco Tuesdays.

So good luck with the bull regardless of where he comes from.
I exited college with my BSEE and $2,800. in loans...still remember the $50.77 (exact amount each month) from 1986 til 2001, it seemed sooo long the year 2001 back then and i thought about all the time writing out $50.77 checks and sending them with a stamp-costs. So in 1987, I wrote out one big check and emptied my bank account and all my savings...I was dirt poor for weeks afterwards, lol....but i had all my college loan paid for.

browns packing is the closest i believe, you could get together with other farmers and make a good load to take
Thanks a lot. I have heard their name a lot but never investigated it. Any processor is an hour+ away so that might be reasonable.

Caught 3 of the MIA cows this week. Not enough to send to the plant so they went to the sale. I got $0.90 for two of them and $1.00 for the biggest one. Ended up with $1,082 a head after deductions which is about $60 a head more than I got at the plant.

@Dave I think you just about got the old broken mouth cow thing figured out my friend!

I bet those calves do well also. Prices are really good here right now. Some folks ain't even considering running them on wheat this year. Gonna sell em now and take a winter off I hear.
Murray around here we are all hoping and praying we can get enough rain for wheat pasture. I hope to start drilling tomorrow. If we can get some wheat pasture we plan to wean the heavy end and sell them after 30-45 days then wean the rest and run all winter we hope. All buyers I talk too think it will pay huge dividends if you can take them to 800 lbs and up. We are hoping for a break in the drought.

Well the seasonal drop in cow prices has occurred. Took in 5 more of the MIA cows. Ended up averaging about $830 a cow which is what I paid for them last spring. They brought $0.80, two for $0.79, one at $0.75, and one who was way off on her weight brought $0.66. Still coming out in the black on these. Just not as far into the black.

Cow prices here are in the .60's overall... some less, a few higher. It will stay that way through hunting season, and then sometimes will rebound a little. Usually try to hold and sell cull cows after the christmas holiday... they are looking for cattle to get the plants up and going after being closed for the holidays and they will be 10-30 cents higher those first few days.

Latest posts