Cows on cornstalks.....supplements?

Help Support CattleToday:

cornstalk

Reaction score
Hey all,

figured this would be a good place to ask. We recently turned our cattle out on corn stalks, and I'm wondering what, if anything they may be lacking with this type of forage/feed.

Thanks for any info.

P.S. Combine was in real good shape,.....a few ears laying in the field, but not many.

I would guesse you could be missing alot of stuff. I would keep a protien sorce and some mineral out at all times. Corn stalks tend to be high in lignen content and usually not very digestable. Watch the cows and adjust from there. But mostly I would say protein and minerals needed. What and how much is hard to say. Just keep them out free choice. Based on how much digetable the stalks are, the number of kernals they are eating and other factors I may not be aware of.

Scotty

when there is no corn in their manure, it's time to supplement with a protein tub, Lots of forage left in the husks and stalks. They will eat the corn first, then go back for the husks, then leaves, then it's usually time to pull them. The actual stalks are a bit tough especially if it's BT (bore tolerant) corn. I usually put out BGF 30% from crystalyx, but you can shop around for a different tub, but atleast 20% protein, with the minerals etc.

We feed DDGs (dried distillers grain) 3-5 lbs a day. Great source of protien. Keep a mineral tub out there and you should be fine.

Latest posts