Cows n' Horses

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Here is why cows and horses don't always go together (in the pasture) Not that they will always chase the cattle, although they will sometimes, but this one figured she had herself a new toy. Chased mama off, and was mothering the calf, licking it and it was trying to suck her (missed that pic). They may have straightened it out on their own, but I separated them before we had a bigger problem.

horsecalf.jpg

Randi, that is one seriously confused horse! :eek: I've seen 'em chase cattle, I've seen 'em sort out one animal and keep it away from the herd, I've seen 'em generally raise havoc with a herd, but I've never seen 'em try to mother a calf!

msscamp":e3w7umfy said:
Randi, that is one seriously confused horse! :eek: I've seen 'em chase cattle, I've seen 'em sort out one animal and keep it away from the herd, I've seen 'em generally raise havoc with a herd, but I've never seen 'em try to mother a calf!

I think she was playing with it (kind of), or maybe the calf tasted good?! She is a 2 year old, and she has to be friends with the cows since I have her separated from the other horses with the intention of teaching her to catch, and presumably get her broke. So far, she catches pretty good, but...well....the breaking hasn't gone too far. Had the bridle on her once in the last month :oops: . Should get to her once the weather finally straightens out and warms up.

randiliana":2a5wpe5h said:
msscamp":2a5wpe5h said:

I think she was playing with it (kind of), or maybe the calf tasted good?! She is a 2 year old, and she has to be friends with the cows since I have her separated from the other horses with the intention of teaching her to catch, and presumably get her broke. So far, she catches pretty good, but...well....the breaking hasn't gone too far. Had the bridle on her once in the last month :oops: . Should get to her once the weather finally straightens out and warms up.

I don't know - kinda looks like she has taken a definite shine to that little guy! I've seen calves lick a horse, but I can't say that I've ever seen a horse lick a calf.

Cold weather is not terribly conducive to breaking young horses - tends to magnify their rambunctiousness, but maybe you heal quicker than I do. :lol: :lol:

Looking at the picture it sure looks dry there can you send it my way>>>My paint loves the calves too she is not mean or controlling but a secondary mom i leave her with my replacement heifers now and she doesn't go up to eat the good 18% ration until the heifers are almost done. She is a real good horse I will be sad when she has to to go. If they start taking them away (calves) then it's time to worry.

That reminds me of a Gelding I had a few years back.. he was great roping horse.. but when I left him in with the cattle.. he would round up the young heifers. I would call him his "girls". He was a funny one, but he never caused me many problems. Kinda sad I sold him.

I had a mare take a newborn from it's mother. The mare had apparently actually cleaned up the calf and wouldn't let the cow near it. This was her first calf and she didn't fight for her calf. When I separated the horse and calf. The cow wouldn't take it back and the calf kept running back to the horse. Ended up having to bottle feed the calf. What a nightmare.

We've got a horse that loves cows. He'll stand on the other side of the fence, reach over and groom them. The funniest time was when he was scratching one of the heifers foreheads. She was really getting into it until he bit too hard she up and walloped him. He stopped for a few seconds then bit her on purpose so she walloped him again. They continued for awhile before the heifer just got tired of him and walked away. SHe was back later for more scratching though.

msscamp":gq4istrm said:
I don't know - kinda looks like she has taken a definite shine to that little guy! I've seen calves lick a horse, but I can't say that I've ever seen a horse lick a calf.

Cold weather is not terribly conducive to breaking young horses - tends to magnify their rambunctiousness, but maybe you heal quicker than I do. :lol: :lol:

She did, but was only with them for a few minutes. I had just brought that pair in since mama didn't seem to be feeling well. Calf is about a month old there. The shine may have worn off fairly quickly, or it may not have.

I have seen dry mares STEAL a colt. That IS a nightmare. Try to get the colt out of that situation before the colt (couple days old) gets hurt!

On the other hand, we sold a gelding to some local folks. They really like him, but he is very protective of any calf he comes in contact with, even dead ones. They had a calf get in with him and he would protect it from them. Not a great situation. Of course they aren't terribly experienced horse people, so who knows how bad he really is??

I'm afraid that my healing has slowed down. Or is it me that slowed down. Ever since I broke my ribs last summer I just don't have that urge to throw myself on anything that comes along ;-) . Pretty sure that this one won't be too bad to break. She is a sweety.

My gelding rules the roost. We have him in a pasture with our herd bull and two younger steers. He is boss. He has the herd bull buffaloed. Herd bull weighs 2000 pounds vs the 1200 of the horse. Horse has the bull "mentally" whipped. The only problem is that the horse starts to get attached to the bulls and we have to be very firm with him when we ride or he will try and go to wherever the bulls are.

randiliana":ds0tgbjz said:
msscamp":ds0tgbjz said:

She did, but was only with them for a few minutes. I had just brought that pair in since mama didn't seem to be feeling well. Calf is about a month old there. The shine may have worn off fairly quickly, or it may not have.

I have seen dry mares STEAL a colt. That IS a nightmare. Try to get the colt out of that situation before the colt (couple days old) gets hurt!

On the other hand, we sold a gelding to some local folks. They really like him, but he is very protective of any calf he comes in contact with, even dead ones. They had a calf get in with him and he would protect it from them. Not a great situation. Of course they aren't terribly experienced horse people, so who knows how bad he really is??

• I'maid that my healing has slowed down. Or is it me that afrslowed down.
Ever since I broke my ribs last summer I just don't have that urge to throw myself on anything that comes along ;-) . Pretty sure that this one won't be too bad to break. She is a sweety.
it don't get better either. before long that ground work dont seem as boring as it used too ;-)

ALACOWMAN":9if1s73j said:
it don't get better either. before long that ground work dont seem as boring as it used too ;-)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Already there. Now it is just a matter of thinking........ hmmm, what else can I do on the ground ;-)

randiliana":3swixhfx said:
ALACOWMAN":3swixhfx said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Already there. Now it is just a matter of thinking........ hmmm, what else can I do on the ground ;-)
that's right if im on the ground now its by choice. not cause they put me there. :p

ALACOWMAN":3rxba084 said:
randiliana":3rxba084 said:
msscamp":3rxba084 said:

• I'maid that my healing has slowed down. Or is it me that afrslowed down.
Ever since I broke my ribs last summer I just don't have that urge to throw myself on anything that comes along ;-) . Pretty sure that this one won't be too bad to break. She is a sweety.

I heard that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts