Cows life in the balance after horrible calf pull

Help Support CattleToday:

CalumetFarms

Reaction score
Hello all, I just want to share a hellish experience ive just gone through, some of us unfortunately know too well.
Around 8 am noticed one of my cows in early labor, I let her be, she's been with me since born here on the farm she's always a been a trooper, a true easy keeper, no problems. Honestly, perhaps my favorite mama cow.
Around 2pm, little progress, sack and prebirth stuff visible, NO hooves.
At 3, no progress, I got her to my chute.
I went in feeling and couldn't make heads or tails out of it, no hooves, no nose, no head. Felt a sharp boney structure about elbow deep, unlike anything I could recognize.
Called in some friends, an old hand that knows what he's doing. He couldn't make much out but knew it wasn't good. He knew it would be still born.
Called the vet, by now it's dark. What we were feeling in there presenting was a RIB CAGE. Calf was totally backwards, and in fact sideways, and legs facing forward. Vet found a hind leg, cut and pulled it. Got another leg, cut and pulled it. Those two pulls were tough but the cow was a pro, didn't go down, handled well, up until then. The third and final portion was the remaining balance, extremely difficult had to use puller. Cow was belowing and to put it simply, some serious damage done internally. Extreme bleeding, which then tapered off. Vet though possibly punctured abdomen, artery, or extensive vaginal tearing.
We did all we could. She is STILL a trooper, walked out of the chute after all that. We have an ice bag in, stitched up vulva. Antibiotic, pain meds, etc.
It's 50/50 if she'll live, most certainly never breed back, I'm hoping for the best for her. I'll know tomorrow or in the coming days.

I'm Sorry to hear that. That's sounds like a rough day for all of y'all. It sounds like you have done everything you can to give her a chance. I hope she pulls through for you. It seems like it's always the favorite ones that run into trouble.

We had a cow not making progress (last winter). Nephew went in, couldn't figure out what he was feeling. Finally figured out he had twins coming and the front one was coming spine first with head on left and butt on right and other calf was also coming. Luckily he has long thin arms and he was able to push things back in & flip the crossed calf. Saved both calves. Super lucky. We could have been where you are.
Sorry for your outcome. Hope she at least survives for salvage value.

That's a bad situation, but it happens. I've only had one over the years that had to be taken out in pieces, and hope never to again. A few years ago, had a cow that got abnormally big thought she may have a huge set of twins in her. Turns out it was a rare condition causing excessive amniotic fluid. The calf had to be taken by C section. The vet said the calf was full of fluid and weighed better than 200 lbs. The placenta was nearly as large and textured like a rubber ball. The calf was DOA and the cow died by the next morning.

Sorry you had a wreck. Extra tuff when you're fond of the cow. Very rare here to have calving issues let alone a major issue. Ironically I had a similar experience very much like yours a few months ago. Vet cut off a front leg and still couldn't ascertain what was haywire. We opted for humane disposal.

I have seen schistasoma reflexa calves (abdomin does not close so guts get out). They fold in half easy so the spine gets pushed towards the pelvic canal and you are presented with a back bone.

Hope things work out. Ruptured uterine arteries that I have seen have bled out pretty quick usually within an hour. If she survives you may be surprised with how she heals.

Ken

Sorry you had a wreck. Extra tuff when you're fond of the cow. Very rare here to have calving issues let alone a major issue. Ironically I had a similar experience very much like yours a few months ago. Vet cut off a front leg and still couldn't ascertain what was haywire. We opted for humane disposal.
Why not out the side? Seen several and have done 3 on Shistosomus Reflux calves. They are not a pretty sight when you get them out.

I have seen schistasoma reflexa calves (abdomin does not close so guts get out). They fold in half easy so the spine gets pushed towards the pelvic canal and you are presented with a back bone.

Hope things work out. Ruptured uterine arteries that I have seen have bled out pretty quick usually within an hour. If she survives you may be surprised with how she heals.

Ken
This in all likelihood is exactly what we were dealing with. guts out in the birth canal, and by the smell alone we new things had gone wrong. Vet estimated calf had been dead for two days, based on its bloat, unfortunately the way it came out we couldn't ascertain much about the calf but it wasn't right.

Nights like those can really make you question your whole operation. I've had a cow struck by lightning few years back, a cow decide to have her calf in the pond, a yearling steer killed and partially eaten by coyotes. If you've got livestock, you've got dead stock. It just comes with the territory.

I would add this cow had calved four times before all without assistance, same calving ease registered bull used too. So we're thinking (and praying) was just a weird anomaly.

This AM she's up drinking and picking at hay. This cow is tough. We're of course gonna keep her on an antibiotic and pain regiment. I'm sure she's running a fever, hopefully infection doesn't get her.

0103211404a_HDR.jpg

Latest posts