cows in heat

Help Support CattleToday:

kypops

Reaction score
You know i am new at this. my question is do cows have 3 heat cycle if they are not bred or do they keep having heat cycle as long as they are not bred.
I also have another ? We put fly tags in both ears.can we still use fly spray to there legs and under stumick?
thanks for all the help i read about every other day on here and have learned a lot thanks again

They'll keep cycling as long as they aren;t bred
Use the spray too, won;t hurt anything

Okay, Dun, I'm sure you're generally correct, but we have to try to make this more complicated and entertaining.

Occasionally I've heard of people that for some reason couldn't or didn't want to breed a heifer/ cow for a while and seems they've been told to not wait too long or it would be harder to get them bred. I don't know if that's because they'd quit cycling or get too fat or what?

I can see letting a young heifer cycle a few times to get some age and size on her. Or a cow that has calved let cycle a time or two to keep her on a annual approximate calving date. Otherwise a cow or heifer should be bred to produce a calf a year otherwise sell her or eat her.
I believe if you let a cow cycle for a long period of time without being bred would for sure cut down on her productivity. :nod: :compute:

If you do not let one breed, you also run the chance of having a neighbor's bull jump the fence. She wounds up getting bred to something you don't want her bred to.

djinwa":3rk5x2tt said:
Okay, Dun, I'm sure you're generally correct, but we have to try to make this more complicated and entertaining.

Occasionally I've heard of people that for some reason couldn't or didn't want to breed a heifer/ cow for a while and seems they've been told to not wait too long or it would be harder to get them bred. I don't know if that's because they'd quit cycling or get too fat or what?
I'm not Dun - but - what you heard can be "somewhat" true. If a cow goes for an extended time without being bred, they can get HARD to get bred.
There are several issues. Yes, they can get too fat & lower their fertility. They can easily get cystic - in which case, they may cycle every 14 days or so, or completely stop cycling. Or just plain ole have lower fertility from being "out of sinc".

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1pqzqr2l said:
djinwa":1pqzqr2l said:

I'm not Dun - but - what you heard can be "somewhat" true. If a cow goes for an extended time without being bred, they can get HARD to get bred.
There are several issues. Yes, they can get too fat & lower their fertility. They can easily get cystic - in which case, they may cycle every 14 days or so, or completely stop cycling. Or just plain ole have lower fertility from being "out of sinc".
That's what my Nana used to say !!!!!!!!! :banana:

Latest posts