Cows in 2 horse trailer?

Help Support CattleToday:

I use an old horse float, i gutted the inside out as there wasn't enough length for the cows. I then welded a frame to fit in gap above door and it has two metal rods that pass through some pipe in float body and float door locking it from opening. Works well. It was cheap. Cows and steers dont mind it once on the open road. Stopping at intersections they will re shuffle and turn around until we're moving again.

View attachment 1539
Never seen one like this, Silver?
I've seen some similar that had saloon hinged doors above the 2 main doors. Hinged so they would fold all the way back and lock open along the sides of the trailer. My father had an old one of that type that the top doors had been open so many years the hinge pins were rusted in place and closing them was impossible.

Some two horse trailers have kind of a short back door. If that is the case make sure you block that off well.
Haha yup I concur.
I learnt the hard way on this.
I was moving a young bull to a to a new pasture and harem 3 miles away last year and he jumped out a half a mile down the road.

Haha yup I concur.
I learnt the hard way on this.
I was moving a young bull to a to a new pasture and harem 3 miles away last year and he jumped out a half a mile down the road.
I have a somewhat related story that is unbelievable, but true. The old cow that I have posted before originally belonged to my son - until he decided that cows were costing him too much. She had a bull calf sired by the angus bull 10X. He decided to grow the bull out to sell as a herd sire. A buddy of his offered to grow the bull out with some others he had. When the bull was 2 years old, my son sold him to the owner of a local sale barn for use on his cows. Son was to deliver the bull to the sale barn very early on a Saturday morning and drop him off. He used his buddy's trailer since it was there at the farm. Loaded the bull and drove off in the dark. After a few miles, a car behind him stops him and says "your cow fell out of the trailer" back down the road. My son was skeptical, but looks and the trailer door is open. It is still dark. He drives back down the road and can't find the bull in the dark. He drives around until it starts to get daylight and finds the bull grazing on the side of the road against a fence. There is a driveway to a house that appears to be a farm. He drives the bull up the driveway and explains his situation to his "new friends". They get the bull in a lot and then loaded back on the trailer. Bull appears to be OK. No limping or scratches. Son calls the guy buying the bull. Guy says to take the bull back home for a few days and be sure he is OK. After a week, bull is still OK and goes to breed the cows for the new owner. After breeding those cows, new owner sells him to his neighbor. I don't see how a bull can step/jump out of a moving trailer traveling on a paved road and not have any injuries. Son decided that if he borrows a trailer again, he will tie the door with a rope just to be sure.

I have a somewhat related story that is unbelievable, but true. The old cow that I have posted before originally belonged to my son - until he decided that cows were costing him too much. She had a bull calf sired by the angus bull 10X. He decided to grow the bull out to sell as a herd sire. A buddy of his offered to grow the bull out with some others he had. When the bull was 2 years old, my son sold him to the owner of a local sale barn for use on his cows. Son was to deliver the bull to the sale barn very early on a Saturday morning and drop him off. He used his buddy's trailer since it was there at the farm. Loaded the bull and drove off in the dark. After a few miles, a car behind him stops him and says "your cow fell out of the trailer" back down the road. My son was skeptical, but looks and the trailer door is open. It is still dark. He drives back down the road and can't find the bull in the dark. He drives around until it starts to get daylight and finds the bull grazing on the side of the road against a fence. There is a driveway to a house that appears to be a farm. He drives the bull up the driveway and explains his situation to his "new friends". They get the bull in a lot and then loaded back on the trailer. Bull appears to be OK. No limping or scratches. Son calls the guy buying the bull. Guy says to take the bull back home for a few days and be sure he is OK. After a week, bull is still OK and goes to breed the cows for the new owner. After breeding those cows, new owner sells him to his neighbor. I don't see how a bull can step/jump out of a moving trailer traveling on a paved road and not have any injuries. Son decided that if he borrows a trailer again, he will tie the door with a rope just to be sure.

42541464_10213232851402096_3451421532788621312_n.jpg

@Nesikep saw that same thing one day going down the road... door slid open on a curve I guess, and cow was just looking out enjoying the ride.... I pulled up alongside the truck, hollered out the window and offered to pull up right against the back of the trailer so when they stopped it wouldn't come out. Worked out okay.
All the 2 horse trailers I grew up with had the door like shown above. Stidham made all their trailers like that years ago. Best pulling bumper pull trailer I ever used back then.
Have seen many nowadays that have a smaller "door" above the main lower door, that does swing all the way around the side to be latched "open" if wanted.

I once saw a large longhorn bull loaded on to a small horse trailer. The trailer was too narrow for him to stand comfortably without having to cock his head, so he resolved that problem by making some modifications to the roof of the trailer. The improved ventilation was an added bonus.

I have a trailer we had made to haul snare with a foal. It looks like a 2 horse trailer but is really a stock trailer. It is a bumper pull. 10ft from hitch to back. Low to the ground and 7ft high inside. Everything loads great in it. We haul everything in it. We like to pack it. A couple months ago we hauled a 17 month old 1300 pound show steer, 1200 pound show heifer, 1100 pound show heifer, 450 pound baby show heifer, all in one load to the vet yo get a health certificate to take them to the state fair coming up. We tied them outside the trailer for the vet to examine them. He asked how they all fit in there. He looked surprised how easy they all loaded back up tied up and were ready to go home. This is a very handy trailer. I would rather pull it around than a bigger bulky trailer. It has a gate on the back like a stock trailer and no dividers in the middle. It has a removable bar across the front for when you haul horses. The baby heifer went under the bar in the front. I would hesitate to haul cows in a straight load 2 horse unless they were halter broke and very handled so you can back them out and tie them in place in the trailer. I can see a pasture cows getting into a wreck in a narrow trailer space.

I once saw a large longhorn bull loaded on to a small horse trailer. The trailer was too narrow for him to stand comfortably without having to cock his head, so he resolved that problem by making some modifications to the roof of the trailer. The improved ventilation was an added bonus.
This video always amazes me at how they know how to get their horns around stuff

This video always amazes me at how they know how to get their horns around stuff

they do the same in the squeeze chute, they are like cats

talk about stuff jumping out of the space above the back gate of a horse trailer, I had a full grown Longhorn cow get out of the space above the back gate of a stock trailer. they are agile for sure. LOL

they do the same in the squeeze chute, they are like cats

talk about stuff jumping out of the space above the back gate of a horse trailer, I had a full grown Longhorn cow get out of the space above the back gate of a stock trailer. they are agile for sure. LOL

She looks comfy there
17883849_1372931802801691_2337605045647225724_n.jpg

19145785_1585528454805136_4896493463420306318_n.jpg

053AE153-C207-4DB7-B1D2-D0F87A4A790D.jpeg
I'm working on something similar. I took out the dividers in the middle and I'm planning on welding something to reinforce the doors! Overall it's just a small 5 x 9 trailer. Any ideas are appreciated lol. I'm only planning on using it on calves!

Latest posts