Cows eating hay

Help Support CattleToday:

I've found a decent glove, it's a fabric/rubberized glove called "Cold war". They aren't for -20, but they do pretty well, easy to slip on and off, and still have some dexterity left.

If you really want to keep your hands warm, mitts work much better.. but they're impossible to work with

Nesikep":1ob9fy8j said:
I've found a decent glove, it's a fabric/rubberized glove called "Cold war". They aren't for -20, but they do pretty well, easy to slip on and off, and still have some dexterity left.

If you really want to keep your hands warm, mitts work much better.. but they're impossible to work with
The ones i have are mitts..My fingers keep each other warm. My husband got them for me and the price tag was on them. Said 79.99...Never in my life would i ever pay that much for gloves. I'm so hard on things, i dont deserve anything nice. He quickly said, they were 75% off....whew..Even so, i've worn them for around 5 years and there is just one tiny hole in them. They seem so fragile, the leather is so thin, but they've lasted through my roughness. If i fill them with exhaust heat from my muffler, i can last several hours before i'm cussing my hands are too cold. There are no spots left on them where i can wipe my face with..lol...i've worn them many times with helping with newborn calves, much yuckness on them...

Best thing about the days getting longer is I don't have to see Scott Pelley on CBS when I come
in at dark thirty. If I hear him say "unarmed black man" one more time I'm going to have a conniption fit.

cowgirl8":wm7l12e8 said:
My problem are my hands. I have yet to find a good glove that keeps them completely warm. I've tried sky gloves, which have worked the best for me. I've found that each time i get a gate, if i take off my gloves, open it up and stick it up to the tail pipe to warm, my gloves stay toasty for a few minutes when i put them back on. I'll do this around 20 times while i'm out.

Try a calf milk bottle. Fill with boiling water before you leave and shove it under your jacket - the thick plastic stops you from getting burned and it lasts a good long while.
Can't comment on the red cross in the first post sorry.
I've never found workable gloves either but still young enough to tough it out, doesn't get real cold here for long.

cowgirl8":3nxfhkd4 said:
These cows still havent finished this hay. We're pretty lucky that rye grass loves this area. We get a good stand without trying. This field has quite a bit of grazing, so dont worry fellas, they arent tearing up the field and walking off weight. They actually have good grazing otherwise they'd be parked around the hay.
What else is in that pasture and how did you seed your rye? I've seen way better " stands".

Kingfisher":1su23i1d said:
cowgirl8":1su23i1d said:
These cows still havent finished this hay. We're pretty lucky that rye grass loves this area. We get a good stand without trying. This field has quite a bit of grazing, so dont worry fellas, they arent tearing up the field and walking off weight. They actually have good grazing otherwise they'd be parked around the hay.
What else is in that pasture and how did you seed your rye? I've seen way better " stands".
That's just volunteer wild rye....most just call it winter grass. Most everybody has some....seems to grow best under trees. Not a lot of nutritional value but it's green so they do love it.

greybeard":11ayvuqi said:
Only time I wear gloves is if I'm welding.
Last winter welding gloves with a brown jersey glove on the inside saved my hands. This year it hasn't been as bad, only down to 0 not -15. :lol2:

I hate winter too. Get off the 4 wheeler and get a little 4wd truck, samurai, sidekick, big red with a cab. Something like that, glass and heater. Put big tires on it and it won't rut to bad. No need in this day and age being cold all day.

Get some of these, put them in your coat pockets and if you have golves you can slide them into the palm and it helps a lot. If you can't stand them in there with your hands in then when the gloves are off leave the hand warmers in the glove.
http://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Hand-War ... B00PX20LO0

Kingfisher":1a29ujqz said:
cowgirl8":1a29ujqz said:
I shredded this pasture in August or somewhere around that and we got rain all fall. I guess you can say this field is stockpiled, but not intentionally. You cant see the rye because of the last years growth is hiding it in the picture. Its not like it is in the spring, but there is enough that hay is still sitting there. They havent been in this pasture since the fall. The rye here grows all on its own. Only people new to the area plant it, then find out the guy in the next pasture has a better stand and he did nothing. My husband is deathly allergic to it, so it goes to figure we'd move somewhere it grows really good.
Somewhere, i have some hand covers for my 4wheeler. Those would help, i must look for them today, although, the 10 day forecast looks wonderful..i'll pretend its spring today...

By the first of march, this is what it looks like over the whole area. That is, if we get rain early winter...

cowgirl8":17mil5fg said:
My problem are my hands. I have yet to find a good glove that keeps them completely warm. I've tried sky gloves, which have worked the best for me. I've found that each time i get a gate, if i take off my gloves, open it up and stick it up to the tail pipe to warm, my gloves stay toasty for a few minutes when i put them back on. I'll do this around 20 times while i'm out.
they make handwarmers for four wheelers. not that hard to put on and with your "cold" weather i bet you cant leave them on high. if you do get some you might as well buy a thumbwarmer too.

tja477t":ksdui69c said:
cowgirl8":ksdui69c said:
they make handwarmers for four wheelers. not that hard to put on and with your "cold" weather i bet you cant leave them on high. if you do get some you might as well buy a thumbwarmer too.
I'll have to look into that..thanks...