cows down

Help Support CattleToday:

Lakesidecowgirl

Reaction score
We had 2 cows go down last week at tje same time. One older one with a calf on her and one yearling that was perfect in every way.Not a mother calf combo. We got the older one up and wlaked her to the barn but she was dogg-legging the whole way, she would not eat or drink and was back done the next day and dieed the day after. The yearling we have not been able to get up is still alive, only eats and drinks a tiny bit. She seems to have labored breathing and has a hard time keeping her head up. If she brings it back too far she just flops onto her side and cannot get her head back up on her own, we have to help her get into "cow fashion". We gave them both Penicillian and LA200. This is the first time we have had such a healthy young cow go down like this, and we have always had cows. Don't know what this is or what to do for her.

If it was me, I be going for the more aggressive antibiotics like Nuflor, but you'll have to get it from a vet. Any feed or other changes with their environment?

If I had 2 cows go down the same day, 1 dead and 1 near death, if not dead already, I'd be going for a vet, rather than trying to hit or miss the right treatment.

I have lost two cows, the Vet says it was due to poor minerals we sent blood to OSU for testing came back low calcium, magnesium, and protein hope this helps

Lakesidecowgirl":35964dqc said:
We had 2 cows go down last week at tje same time. One older one with a calf on her and one yearling that was perfect in every way.Not a mother calf combo. We got the older one up and wlaked her to the barn but she was dogg-legging the whole way, she would not eat or drink and was back done the next day and dieed the day after. The yearling we have not been able to get up is still alive, only eats and drinks a tiny bit. She seems to have labored breathing and has a hard time keeping her head up. If she brings it back too far she just flops onto her side and cannot get her head back up on her own, we have to help her get into "cow fashion". We gave them both Penicillian and LA200. This is the first time we have had such a healthy young cow go down like this, and we have always had cows. Don't know what this is or what to do for her.

Anytime you have two of anything that you cannot easily diagnose yourself, it is time to call the vet.

were they vaccinated for blackleg?

Could be so many things have to agree that a vet out would be a good choice here. You could have them come out and do a necropsy on the dead cow, may be something obvious, may be not.

Another thought especially if you have more go down, is they are getting into something poisonous. Had a friend lose 6 cows in a matter of a few hours and that was the culprit, got into a patch of can't remember what now the plant was, but it was growing wild in the field he had the cows in, and wham bam-dead in hours.

GMN

CMPK from valley vet is less than $4.50 a tube if you buy a small quantity. Two tubes of CMPK on a down cow works miracles.

Keep out plenty of loose mineral in the future. Mineral block don't cut it. If you put out minerals and the cows gobble it up, that should tell you something.

Of course, if you don't mind losing cows and paying vet bills........

backhoeboogie":1u5s0y2a said:
CMPK from valley vet is less than $4.50 a tube if you buy a small quantity. Two tubes of CMPK on a down cow works miracles.

Keep out plenty of loose mineral in the future. Mineral block don't cut it. If you put out minerals and the cows gobble it up, that should tell you something.

It will only work miracles if that's what it needs. A damaged nerve or an injury it won;t do diddly

dun":1l21fc4z said:
backhoeboogie":1l21fc4z said:

It will only work miracles if that's what it needs. A damaged nerve or an injury it won;t do diddly

Agreed.

Take a look at Jarhead's post above. Most of the cases I am seeing are mineral related.

backhoeboogie":2lp6m19j said:
Take a look at Jarhead's post above. Most of the cases I am seeing are mineral related.
I just can;t comprehend people having all of these mineral problems.

dun":10ewm0zu said:
backhoeboogie":10ewm0zu said:
I just can;t comprehend people having all of these mineral problems.

Me neither Dun. But its the real world. For pete's sake, they could atleast put out a block. A guy was telling me the other day that he put out a bag of minerals and it was gone before he drove off. "I can't afford that and hay too" How can he afford not to feed minerals? His cows are starving for minerals.

Edit: He'll probably be on here before long posting about his cow being down with plenty of free choice hay yada yada yada.

jarhead":2ebouzzc said:
I have lost two cows, the Vet says it was due to poor minerals we sent blood to OSU for testing came back low calcium, magnesium, and protein hope this helps

Did they have access to mineral block or supplement? Thanks in advance.

At the cost for mineral some folks think it is a place to skimp, of course till they start losing cows. We buy 10 50 pound bags every two weeks for ours we have 100 head and we haven't had milk fever or other mineral related problems since we switched from salt blocks to loose mineral. We still have one from time to time that we loose due to stupidity though wither mine or the cows. Can't fix stupid cows but you guys have gone a long way to fixing ignorant sailors. Thanks. Lee

I was feeded a tub "Feed In a Drum" 20 MF this was supposed to have all the minerals they needed not the case it seems.
Kingfisher":2hxq8zmn said:
jarhead":2hxq8zmn said:

Did they have access to mineral block or supplement? Thanks in advance.

jarhead":xwsxf9gt said:
I was feeded a tub "Feed In a Drum" 20 MF this was supposed to have all the minerals they needed not the case it seems.

It's hard to beat a good, loose, free choice mineral that is formulated for your area and your circumstances. That little bitty small detail can go so far in preventing so very many problems. :)

Latest posts