cows down after calving- therapy-

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN

Reaction score
was talking to a feller yesterday and got on the subject of pulling calves and down cows. he said he helped a man one time get a cow up on a 55 gal drum set on its side and rolled the cow back and forth while working its back legs in short the end result was she showed them a new exit route out of the pasture..yall can laugh but this made more sence than about any other thing ive heard before i have a big ball that i roll on for my lower back and it helps

Healthsouth may have an empty clinic you can go into business in.

Cow Therapy. Why didn't Richard Scrushy think of that? ;-)

well the feller that told me this said the man said before they started. lets give this cow some therapy ;-) hey with a down cow its worth a try

ALACOWMAN":y6src8mo said:
well the feller that told me this said the man said before they started. lets give this cow some therapy ;-) hey with a down cow its worth a try

I guess anything is worth a try. Have seen them lay there til all the hide is gone on one side.

Then again some get better. Ya never know with a cow.

Holsteins are the worst from what I have seen.

Hi, we almost had a downed cow. She had a calf pulled, she went down. It was this winter. Feb. she got bred too young, Anyway, she couldn;t get up. So , Gary finally got some one to put these "hip huggers on her", got her upm not easy. He would get her up in the day with the hip huggers attacked to the tractor. I decided that maybe she would need something else, like the sling were all her legs are helped up. We had that for about 11 days, she would walk around,she could only get up from a certain height. WE had to go back to the hip huggers, she was assisted up. Finally she was getting up from lower and lower, I had noticed earlier, that when she was standing. She would only put weight , on the left rear leg tip toe, that is the hoof, and she didn't put the hoof flat down on the ground. The vet;s assistant said it was problem a pinched nerve. I did to some therapy., more like heat and massage therapy, Fed her good grain, to give her protein, et .The day the calf was pulled , the vet came out administered fluid, steroids, I am not sure what else, Anyway, she started getting up on her own, she could walk and run, before she could get competely off the ground, She is about ready to go back to the barm, we brought her over to the house, she;s been in the back yard. She has a few scars, from falling, to still heal up. Idon;t want any open areas on her, infectionss She looks fat and sassy. It has been awhile. First, thing, get her up as soon as feasable. They loose muscle. There is also, another , idea out there, water, Do you have access to a pond? There is a guy named Steve Kraak that "floats" cows in a water tank, I don;t know if you can afford that, but we were thinking maybe a pond would due. or that sling device, we rented it for a while. Nerves can take a long time to heal.,depending on what is wrong. It is aways a possiblity the cow may not get better, You need to test her nerves, In between the hoofs, take a hot shot, she if she responds, by moving her legs. She has got feeling. I would talk to the vet, ask them about this, if you have a good vet, he or she should be able to help. Some times steroids help. they shrink the inflammation, i think it helps to move her legs, I would ask the vet, how to move them etc, On that getting them up. Gary should have gotten her up with the tractor and hip huggers, or the sling .The guy with the water tank is in Wisconsin, we're in Kentucky. I don;t think he would have come down here, It was cold, and we did,t think an unheated pond would be good. WE couldn't afford the water tank anyway. Im sorry to be so longwinded. I can not guarantee, she will get better, call the vet, you need to know, check with him, I am pretty sure I am telling you the right areas to test. Gary says it is the top side of the split hoof, just above the split of the hoof. If no reaction, no feeling. If she jumps or moves her legs, she has got some hope,Any questions, or etc, Gary can tell you exactly what he did., Send us a reply. I will send you a private message. or etc, Anything to help you and the cow. Hope eveything works out, Just reply, we know , we have been in your shoes. Merry

Hi, we almost had a downed cow. She had a calf pulled, she went down. It was this winter. Feb. she got bred too young, Anyway, she couldn;t get up. So , Gary finally got some one to put these "hip huggers on her", got her upm not easy. He would get her up in the day with the hip huggers attacked to the tractor. I decided that maybe she would need something else, like the sling were all her legs are helped up. We had that for about 11 days, she would walk around,she could only get up from a certain height. WE had to go back to the hip huggers, she was assisted up. Finally she was getting up from lower and lower, I had noticed earlier, that when she was standing. She would only put weight , on the left rear leg tip toe, that is the hoof, and she didn't put the hoof flat down on the ground. The vet;s assistant said it was problem a pinched nerve. I did to some therapy., more like heat and massage therapy, Fed her good grain, to give her protein, et .The day the calf was pulled , the vet came out administered fluid, steroids, I am not sure what else, Anyway, she started getting up on her own, she could walk and run, before she could get competely off the ground, She is about ready to go back to the barm, we brought her over to the house, she;s been in the back yard. She has a few scars, from falling, to still heal up. Idon;t want any open areas on her, infectionss She looks fat and sassy. It has been awhile. First, thing, get her up as soon as feasable. They loose muscle. There is also, another , idea out there, water, Do you have access to a pond? There is a guy named Steve Kraak that "floats" cows in a water tank, I don;t know if you can afford that, but we were thinking maybe a pond would due. or that sling device, we rented it for a while. Nerves can take a long time to heal.,depending on what is wrong. It is aways a possiblity the cow may not get better, You need to test her nerves, In between the hoofs, take a hot shot, she if she responds, by moving her legs. She has got feeling. I would talk to the vet, ask them about this, if you have a good vet, he or she should be able to help. Some times steroids help. they shrink the inflammation, i think it helps to move her legs, I would ask the vet, how to move them etc, On that getting them up. Gary should have gotten her up with the tractor and hip huggers, or the sling .The guy with the water tank is in Wisconsin, we're in Kentucky. I don;t think he would have come down here, It was cold, and we did,t think an unheated pond would be good. WE couldn't afford the water tank anyway. Im sorry to be so longwinded. I can not guarantee, she will get better, call the vet, you need to know, check with him, I am pretty sure I am telling you the right areas to test. Gary says it is the top side of the split hoof, just above the split of the hoof. If no reaction, no feeling. If she jumps or moves her legs, she has got some hope,Any questions, or etc, Gary can tell you exactly what he did., Send us a reply. I will send you a private message. or etc, Anything to help you and the cow. Hope eveything works out, Just reply, we know , we have been in your shoes. Merry

Thanks merry i dont have one down. but i thought it was interesting anyway and might be helpful too someone in the future. they are always folks on here that are asking questions about how to get an ol gal back on her feet ;-)

They got one of those "Floating" tank deals at the Large Animal Clinic at Auburn University.

They call it the "whirlpool". :lol:

Put 'em a big beach ball in there too and they may have enough fun to get up. ;-)

Hi, Ladies and gentlemen, Sorry, i must have hit tha submit botton 2 many times,. Yes, I realized,later that you all weren't talking about someone's real cow. I do not want to go through that again. I guess you all have heard of Steve Kraak, from Wisconsin. Anyway, our cow is fat and sassy. She is doing well. We had a cow last year. that had a problem, She was a charolois. couldn't deliver her large calf. Gary had to pull the calf, it was dead. Charlois went down. ,That night she either tried to get up or rolled into our pond. Next day, there she was in the pond. One of the neighbors,knew someone with a hip hugger. Got her out of the pond, she was still down. Gary feed and watered her, She loved oatmeal cookies( for energy) WE got her a steroid shot, she had been down 2 days. The next day after that shot she was up. She hasn't had any problems this year, delivered on her own, a nice charlois calf out of our easy calving bull. The other calf was from an unknown bull,. Like, I said, no problems this year. On thing, everybody is full of ideas, and willing to share them. Thanks for listening,. Merry

We have very little luck being able to save a cow that is down after calving. We have used hay bales to prop her up and bought a hip lift that attaches to the tractor. It just seems like in the end we end up having to destoy the cow. I think we have only had 2 cows in alot of years that has came out of it.

gertfan":3v8dyout said:
We have very little luck being able to save a cow that is down after calving. We have used hay bales to prop her up and bought a hip lift that attaches to the tractor. It just seems like in the end we end up having to destoy the cow. I think we have only had 2 cows in alot of years that has came out of it.

Apparantly it depends on the cow. I've seen more get up and keep on going then not. One was down for over a month.

dun

mermill2, I'm glad you had good luck this year with the Carolais cow. You took a big chance giving her another chance :shock:

I had a big Charolais cow in a water hole last Spring, pulled her out with the Bobcat. Then pulled the dead calf out with the Bobcat. She could not get up her back end completly paralyzed.
I propped her up against a log. She kept eating and drinking, so I kept hauling her food and water [she was 1/4 mile back in the woods] I sprayed flies often as they got bad. It was a good 2 weeks and she started getting better crawling around and eating grass. It was an awful site, wondered what to do with her, put her out of her misery, I think the hamburger would have been just fine, but I did'nt want it. One day as I approached her she almost could stand, one hind leg was working some. To make a getting long story short, after about 6 weeks she got so she could walk. Funny she really didn't loose much weight through all this. I feed her well for a couple of months, she was looking good, sold her for kill got 900$ for the 1500 pound cow. :D

mnmt

Latest posts