Cows, Cows, Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

ROB

Reaction score
i've noticed in the last couple of days that there have been some really nice cows posted on various threads. Sooknortex, Mitch2 and as always - Knersie who so many times impresses us with his seedstock just to name a few. it would be nice if there was a common thread where a lot of these nice cows were posted. photos that we all could use for future reference that could be located in one common place. a thread where breed doesn't matter, only the fact that a good cow is a good cow.

ROB

edit: i would also like to add Jeanne-Simme Valley's photo of the 2000 Simmental Donor to the listing above. wow- what an eyepopper!

ROB":331h0u2f said:
i've noticed in the last couple of days that there have been some really nice cows posted on various threads. Sooknortex, Mitch2 and as always - Knersie who so many times impresses us with his seedstock just to name a few. it would be nice if there was a common thread where a lot of these nice cows were posted. photos that we all could use for future reference that could be located in one common place. a thread where breed doesn't matter, only the fact that a good cow is a good cow.

ROB

That would be fine if everyone agreed on what makes a "good cow." :D I may have "good cows" that others think are "pinched at the heart girth" or "too much leather" or too big, or not big enough, etc.

Frankie- what makes a good cow for me doesn't have to be your idealolgy, and vice-versa. whether we agree or not - a good cow to you is still a good cow.

ROB

P1000117.jpg

ROB-

QUOTE from Frankie-["That would be fine if everyone agreed on what makes a "good cow." I may have "good cows" that others think are "pinched at the heart girth" or "too much leather" or too big, or not big enough, etc."] - Frankie is absolutely correct! Everyone has their own particular thoughts, ideas and opinions on what - EXACTLY - constitutes a "good cow", and these pictures posted here exemplify her statement PERFECTLY! There is no doubt in my mind that everyone of these cows - for one reason or perhaps several reasons - justify their being kept as a producer for the many years that they have been producing calves - otherwise they would have been gone long ago. But, by the same token, I assume that there are many of the Forum members who looked at these cow pictures and thought, " What makes them so good? I have cows that are better than they are!"

"Good" is in the eye of the beholder! Just as "Calendar Girls" and "Center Fold" models seem to catch the momentary attention of many individuals, "THEY" are usually NOT the one's that Jr. brings home to meet the folks! :nod: Of course, Ruthie, MY CENTER FOLD CALENDAR GIRL, is a WHOLE 'NUTHER THING - altogether! I had to fight my Dad off when I brought HER home!! :lol: :wave: (That was 66 years ago!)

Rob, this is not to say that you idea of publishing pictures of "good cows" is not a good one. But there are a lot of them already in circulation with sale catalogs, instructional brochures, publications et al. You just have to continue to look and learn according to your own particular desires and mental images.

DOC HARRIS

Red Bull Breeder":l4jtz5m4 said:
Be 15 years old come spring. She has been good to me.

Nice. I thought it was one of ours for a moment.

She is the mother of the heifer i posted three of four months ago Real Limis are red. She is showing her age with this last calf. Maybe i should post the heifer on here with her.

Joy of Texas":2oyc08d8 said:
This is one of my best cows 17 and still kicking.
P1120221.jpg

I can't really explain why but I love the looks of this ol' gal. I'd probably have gotten rid of the horns years ago but otherwise I think she's a sharp lady.

TexasBred":cx5sad7p said:
Joy of Texas":cx5sad7p said:
This is one of my best cows 17 and still kicking.
P1120221.jpg

I can't really explain why but I love the looks of this ol' gal. I'd probably have gotten rid of the horns years ago but otherwise I think she's a sharp lady.
Thank you TB, Mercedes is as gentle as you can find a cow. The lady we bought her from decided not to dehorn her . She had a couple of them done and decided it was to stressful on cattle. I myself would have dehorn her also.It's kind of funny,people that stop by the house get nervous when Mercedes walks up. Is she mean,I say no why. Well look at those horns. I just smile and tell them ,that's why I don't need a guard dog.

Latest posts