Cows chewing on tree bark

Help Support CattleToday:

Kerry

Reaction score
A couple of my cows have started to chew off the bark of some trees they are able to reach. Are they missing nutrition and trying to make up for it by eating the bark? Is there something I can give them or should give them because they are eating the bark or is this natural?
Thanks for all your help.

I bought some cattle off a guy taht lived around Menard TX. He did not have good pastures so the cattle ate what ever they could. Including cactus. If you have limited grazing they may be hungry. Keep out minerals by your water souce at all times. Get some good mineral like Mooremans or the Right now minerals. No trace blocks as they are not worth thier weight in salt.

Scotty

Are they chewing or rubbing it off? My herd completely ruined a good tree strip last year by rubbing the bark off the trees. Most of the trees are dead now.

That is a good question. They could be rubbing the trees, never thought of that. I saw my bull eat a small twig yesterday and that is why I just assumed they were eating the bark. I will try and keep a closer eye on them.

The tree should be smooth if they are rubbing it. Rough if they are chewing it. Mine will do both. Have lost bigger trees to them rubbing on them. Littler trees get ate - just 'cuz they can. :(

Cows like the bark on some trees - no emergency. They will even walk down the sapling on some breeds to eat the leaves as well.

Very common to have this happen.

If you are feeding properly and they have food available just accept it.

Bez

Bez":199fcm50 said:
Cows like the bark on some trees - no emergency. They will even walk down the sapling on some breeds to eat the leaves as well.

Very common to have this happen.

If you are feeding properly and they have food available just accept it.

Bez

Again you are correct as mine spend as much time in the woods grazing as in the pasture. They love the young maples will eat them to the ground.

Spring time and maples. The sap is running and the cows are happy.

Bez

Latest posts