Cows calving while standing

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I saw it again this afternoon. A 3rd calf cow never laid down to calve. Saw this with this cow's sister last year. They just go off by themselves, mope around for a while and shoot the calf out. I've raised cattle for a lot of year but this group are the first I ever saw calve standing up!! Anyone else have this happen - doesn't seem to hurt the calf dropping a couple of feet on its head. It was up and nursing in 30 min.

[email protected]

I've seen this happen more than once, especially out in an open pasture where the cow might be too nervous about predators to lay down.

Actually, gravity can help a lot with delivering that shoulder when a calf is standing. And, the short drop to the ground usually breaks the umbilical cord and/or amniotic sac, allowing the calf to breathe.

> I saw it again this afternoon. A
> 3rd calf cow never laid down to
> calve. Saw this with this cow's
> sister last year. They just go off
> by themselves, mope around for a
> while and shoot the calf out. I've
> raised cattle for a lot of year
> but this group are the first I
> ever saw calve standing up!!
> Anyone else have this happen -
> doesn't seem to hurt the calf
> dropping a couple of feet on its
> head. It was up and nursing in 30
> min.

> I've seen this happen more than
> once, especially out in an open
> pasture where the cow might be too
> nervous about predators to lay
> down.

> Actually, gravity can help a lot
> with delivering that shoulder when
> a calf is standing. And, the short
> drop to the ground usually breaks
> the umbilical cord and/or amniotic
> sac, allowing the calf to breathe.

Well, I guess you learn the longer you live - I have only been in the business a short time, three years, and last year was the first time I was able to actually watch a few of my calves being born. The ones I watched were all born with mothers standing. Oh, they would lay around for a while, but the actual births were made standing up. I didn't know they were born laying down! Well, I will continue to learn.

[email protected]

I've been at it for 40 plus years and still continue to learn. It's an undending process

dun

> Well, I guess you learn the longer
> you live - I have only been in the
> business a short time, three
> years, and last year was the first
> time I was able to actually watch
> a few of my calves being born. The
> ones I watched were all born with
> mothers standing. Oh, they would
> lay around for a while, but the
> actual births were made standing
> up. I didn't know they were born
> laying down! Well, I will continue
> to learn.

Several years ago we had a very old cow that had her last two calves while she was standing up. I think the getting up and down was hard on her, so she just stayed on her feet. But we watch most of our calves being born and the cows are laying down.

[email protected]

Latest posts