cows calving in july updated

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
im looking at some reg beefmaster cows that are 4yrs old.they are 5 to 6 months bred.so that makes them calve in july an aug.i talked to the owner at length about the cows.he AIed them in nov an dec.but the thing is he has a bull.an i dont why or how long he held them open since he has a bull.the cows look tobe in good flesh.but im thinking its to hot to calve them in july.would have to hold emm away from the bull 60 to 90 days.a friend i trust is going to look at them sat morning.an call me with his thoughts an opion of the cattle.he says we both need to wait an buy cattle out of the sale in may.so give me your thoughts on calving in the heat.

bigbull338":30bfa45c said:
im looking at some reg beefmaster cows that are 4yrs old.they are 5 to 6 months bred.so that makes them calve in july an aug.i talked to the owner at length about the cows.he AIed them in nov an dec.but the thing is he has a bull.an i dont why or how long he held them open since he has a bull.the cows look tobe in good flesh.but im thinking its to hot to calve them in july.would have to hold emm away from the bull 60 to 90 days.a friend i trust is going to look at them sat morning.an call me with his thoughts an opion of the cattle.he says we both need to wait an buy cattle out of the sale in may.so give me your thoughts on calving in the heat.

We calve in Jan/Feb because of bull tests, sales, etc. But when we had commercial cattle, it seemed those summer born calves (July-Aug) just didn't do as well as calves born earlier in the year. Our calves started grazing alongside momma pretty young and I felt like the summer born calves didn't get the benefit of spring grass to get them started. There was enough grass, but the quality started dropping off in the heat.

Maybe the bull is related to the cows and he didn't want to use him? But unless you can get comfortable with why they didn't get bred back, you might do better to keep looking.

Frankie":2n373s0c said:
bigbull338":2n373s0c said:

We calve in Jan/Feb because of bull tests, sales, etc. But when we had commercial cattle, it seemed those summer born calves (July-Aug) just didn't do as well as calves born earlier in the year. Our calves started grazing alongside momma pretty young and I felt like the summer born calves didn't get the benefit of spring grass to get them started. There was enough grass, but the quality started dropping off in the heat.

Maybe the bull is related to the cows and he didn't want to use him? But unless you can get comfortable with why they didn't get bred back, you might do better to keep looking.
right now me an the friend thats going to look at them arnt feeling good about them.because we dont know how long or why he didnt get them bred back.we both want to know when they had their last calf.an what he did with the calves.like you we are afraid they wont milk as good calving in the heat.along with the slow grass growth.we are thinking the calves wont grow off near as good.

thanks for the input.keep it coming.i dont mind the calving but i know how it gets here.an i know if the grass isnt good.she cant raise a good heavy calf at weaning.

You live in Texas you should know better. Think aobut how warm it gets in the summer and how bad the flies get. Plus a calf born that late won't be able to take as much advantage of grass because it won't be grazing till later so you are missign out on lettign that calf get moms milk and grass. ITs going to miss out on a lot of grazing time that will add to weight gain and higher weaning weights.

Had a heifer calve last year July 10th and her calf has not grown out well at all.......... I also don't like for the heavy milkers to calve during that time either. Calves seem to scour easier. Its so ungodly humid here in July/August and the flies are aggravating. Also had 3 calves born last June and within 2 weeks time had to dr one for pink eye.

bigbull338":1fievtev said:
so give me your thoughts on calving in the heat.

I wouldn't want to do it. Not only is there a lack of time, but the heat is going to depress appetites, and increase the spread of disease and fly problems. According to everything I've read, it is a proven fact that calving during the summer months results in calves not doing as well as calves born during cooler months. I know that on the few occasions we had cows/heifers that calved in July and August, those calves did not do nearly as well, and never seemed to catch up to the rest of the calves - despite the fact that we fed our calves over the winter and sold the following spring.

well my friend is looking at the cattle today.an he is going to call me later with his thoughts.an yes im used to the heat of texas in the summer.but calving cows in the heat like that kills my profit.the lastest i calved the reg cows was 6-13-07.an that cow was a very heavy milker.an she raised 1 heck of a heifer calf.ive got 2 heavy bred cows now.an 1 should calve before it gets to hot.an the other cow may calve pretty close to her.

Love calving my commercials in aug/sept, but I'm in a much cooler climate. We get a slug of grass in Sept and it's starting to cool off at night.

the friend that i had go look at the cows called.an he said those cows would fitt my breeding program perfectly.an that the price i was buying them for was too cheap.an that i could work around the way they are going to calve.so i called the guy an bought both of them.now we have to work out delivery of the cattle.that will most likely be sun afternoon after church.goodthing i have some feed here at the house.he said breeding back to my bull they should throw some nice calves.

how many are they and what ages they are? i cant imagine purposely breeding them to calve in the summer. maybe they were young opens? they should make good fall calvers. another thing to watch besides flies and heat and scouring and crap like that is that birthweights tend to get a boost from about may thru july here. i always hate to have a summer heifer oopsie.

Beefy":3pcz56t3 said:
how many are they and what ages they are? i cant imagine purposely breeding them to calve in the summer. maybe they were young opens? they should make good fall calvers. another thing to watch besides flies and heat and scouring and crap like that is that birthweights tend to get a boost from about may thru july here. i always hate to have a summer heifer oopsie.
they both are 4yr olds.an since i stole them for $1500ea.thought id better get emm since they was worth $2000ea.im planning on calving themhere at the house.so i can keep my eye on them.

We have 1 july '07 steer... came from a heifer who slipped and became a summer instead of a spring calver... perhaps they just kept them bred as soon as possible... ours we held her out this year and she'll be with the fall group now...

...they're beefmaster, they'll do just fine in the heat.

Good luck with them.

these cows was bred in nov or dec by AI.an then turned out with the bull.but im betting he held them open for awhile before trying to breed them.when i get the papers ill know how long they are possably bred.ive got a heifer springing with her 2nd calf.i didnt expose her to the bull till july 1st.

i have pics of them.but yall know i dont know how to post pics.an my email is down.theyve been upgrading it for 3 days.an havent got it up an going right yet.

Latest posts