Cows calving in 10 months!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Are you moving them up on purpose? Sounds like a good way to get things out of whack. Either you're not pulling your bull, or trying to push them up. And with a group of any size you'll have a bunch that wont jump that much... or you just don't care when they calve in which case carry on.

Some people calve year round. If you ask the experts, they recommend a tight calving "season" or two "seasons".
It would be a management nightmare for me. I have two 60 day calving seasons, and I have a strong health program. So, no, I would NEVER have a cow calve in 10 months.
there are strong opinions on both sides of this management. Just not for me.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1svydrj0 said:
Some people calve year round. If you ask the experts, they recommend a tight calving "season" or two "seasons".
It would be a management nightmare for me. I have two 60 day calving seasons, and I have a strong health program. So, no, I would NEVER have a cow calve in 10 months.

Agreed. We have a 60 day as well. We don't have the time to calve any longer than that. It's complete overdrive calving so many in such a short window but when we are done, we are done. Anything late, we sell as heavy bred because we got to start planting. We do have a small fall herd (50 head) but that's inbetween irrigating and harvest.

We like our calving windows. I'd also think breeding them back so quick, doesn't give them a whole lot of time to bounce back?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1pob9bta said:

Must calve year round, or have a lot of bull power.

I had some spring cows with my fall herd last year because there was extra grass there.

Kept the bull in until mid September and had 5 jump to late Spring breeding on 14-20 days post calving.

We started with cattle in the fall of 2013 and thanks to good nutrition/pastures/minerals we have been successfully moving our calving schedule forward. Here are the calving dates from my oldest cow.....7/23/14, 6/2/15, 4/23/16, 3/29/17 and 3/5/18 and from her daughter we bought at the same time.....6/1/14, 5/20/15, 5/2/16, 3/28/17 and 3/4/18. Now that we are settled in the first week of March, I am going to keep them there and not move the dates any further forward. Needless to say I have kept all of the older cows daughters due to their fertility.

People on here like to run a bull 12 months of the year, and are excited to have their cattle calving year round, and calving intervals are shortened.
Obviously, cattle can calve every 10 months. Some can do it year in and year out. But -- even in the wild animals give birth once a year for a reason. Every cow is different, but for longevity and quality of calf raised, once a year is good for the cow. There are always exceptions, but I am talking what is best for the whole herd.
Management is so much easier also.

Latest posts