cows calving -- for newbies -- pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

I know cows aren't goats, and goats aren't cows. But they are similar 4-leggeds when it comes to birthing. Years ago, I friend of mine published in MEMO, the Nat'l Pygmy Goat Assoc. magazine, a great article, fully illustrated, showing just about every possible presentation you might find in a delivery -- how to tell front feet from back feet, multiple birth presentations, etc., and how to manuever that baby around to deliver it. I'm trying to get permission to get that and post it here. We are close to good cattle vets -- not everyone is, or can afford to call out the vet with a malpresentation. It will probably be in PDF format, so I may need some assistance figuring out how to download it, once I get it.

OH MY excuse me weak stomach! I about threw up! WOW! OK do you really gota put your hand up there! YUCk! Excuse me throwing up! Can the mama cow handle it on her owe or will she need help? Should I call 911! OH MY!

Shell, that will be a judgment call, when you have to make it. Labor/delivery -- I think these pics were pretty normal and showed you how it happens, in the sequence it happens. And the time-frame isn't long -- within a hour or less. So, learn from the pics. :)

Thanks Kathie, I think your right, but that doesn't mean I ain't gunna throw up! LOL!

Chevy":1hhds76j said:
Thanks Kathie, I think your right, but that doesn't mean I ain't gunna throw up! LOL!

Once you witness it in person ,especially if it is your cow calving, you will not throw up . This is what divides the women from the incompetent girly girls . Which one are you going to be ,remember there are lives at stake . :tiphat:

I have a feeling that MM will be published many times to come ,but it will be DMV Milkmaid . :D

Shell, looks your cattle are still calves now, so unless you get mature stock, you've got a couple years before you get to this point. But, maybe you could check around so see if there are any big dairy operations in your area (dairies have cows calving year-round), see if they'd let you come out to watch some calvings so you can see what happens -- and there'd probably be of their hands nearby to answer any questions you might have. (You may have to supply your own barf bag.)

That is a good ideal. :) There is a big o' registered angus farm down the road from us, maybe I'll go see that farmer man and see if I can watch his cows give birth. I heard he was a big o' farmer man doe without any teef. Maybe if he is mean I'll whip his o' farmer man butt and straight him out! That is what my parent did when I was bad, mean, sassy, ect. I am not talking to lil "spankings" as in pat on the tail either. I am talking BIG WOODEN PADDLE or REAL leather belt! :tiphat:

as a newbie to the cattle world (i have a 5mth old heifer i have bottle raised) i was delighted with the pictures. our landlady has nearly 50 head of cattle on our property and not once have i got to see a bubba being born. the mummas seem to sneak them out during the night or down in the trees during the day where i cant see :( anyway thanks again for posting the pictures :)

Great Pictures. Thanks

Just learning so please forgive question if it seems simple, but when you cow is expecting do you hand around to make sure there are no problems?

I am in Texas and have noticed many Free range cattle running on property with no haouse on it. I am curious because I would like to get into cattle but would like to learn first, instead of at the risk to the cattle's health.

Stepbystep, I've never heard of this being done, and I believe it's something that no producer on here does. It's really not worth the time to be doing that anyway because it's better off to be out checking cows once or twice a day to see if there are any problems or not. And if you do find a cow that is having trouble, it's only then that you glove up and go in to see what the matter is.

In your part of the country, conditions are often right enough for cows to be calving without a shed. It's much different if you're calving in the middle of January in Canada. If you're calving on May in Canada you don't need a shed either.

and how funny that I get through the pictures without batting an eye. seen a lot of animals give birth. but was suddenly struck dumb when thinking about smell. thinking I might need some vicks if I am close enough to get a whiff.

Latest posts