cows calving -- for newbies -- pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

I know cows aren't goats, and goats aren't cows. But they are similar 4-leggeds when it comes to birthing. Years ago, I friend of mine published in MEMO, the Nat'l Pygmy Goat Assoc. magazine, a great article, fully illustrated, showing just about every possible presentation you might find in a delivery -- how to tell front feet from back feet, multiple birth presentations, etc., and how to manuever that baby around to deliver it. I'm trying to get permission to get that and post it here. We are close to good cattle vets -- not everyone is, or can afford to call out the vet with a malpresentation. It will probably be in PDF format, so I may need some assistance figuring out how to download it, once I get it.

It's fascinating to see this pictures and hear your stories. You're getting prepared better when it finally will happen. At the moment I don't have a farm, so... I hope I can learn fast as soon as I start out. But I think this thread will be helpful later then, although I will also have to ask some experiences guys in real life about it.

Might mention that if you pull a calf backwards, always pull the tail down between the back legs, to keep the tail head from hanging on the pelvic bones and breaking the tail hear or even the extreme back part of the back it's self.

Kathie in Thorp":2lh6eil9 said:
Have been through this, but this is a very good set of pics for those who haven't. Always nice to see toes first, nose next! Thx!
I do not see any pictures. What are you talking about?

I must have some setting wrong. No pics here.
Tomcolvin":2mz28hmm said:
Kathie in Thorp":2mz28hmm said:
Have been through this, but this is a very good set of pics for those who haven't. Always nice to see toes first, nose next! Thx!
I do not see any pictures. What are you talking about?

Ok, got'em. Thanks

Latest posts