Cows ate Wild cherry tree

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":3ca6twy2 said:
I wouldn't worry about it unless they gorged themselves on it.

I'll second that. Most plant poisonings happen when cows are short on feed and the poisonous plant is a big part of their diet.

Alittle bit added to a diet of grass doesn't hurt.

"The dose makes the poison".

From Purdue's web site:

"Most animals can consume small amounts of healthy leaves, bark and fruit safely; however when hungry animals consume large amounts of fresh leaves or small amounts of damaged leaves (as little as 2 ounces), clinical cases of poisoning will occur, and many animals may die. This is especially true if there is no other forage for the animals to consume, or in the case of pets, when confined and/or bored, the chances for toxic levels of ingestion can occur."

and

"After consumption, signs will manifest within a few minutes, but sometimes up to an hour may pass. The animals will try to breath more rapidly and deeply, and then become anxious and stressed. "

I would flag that tree and after frost and all the leaves have dried and fell, if it is my land, I would get rid of that cherry tree. Also, I would look close around tree after any kind of wind to see is any green leaves were on the ground and try to pick them up and dispose of them properly. Cherry trees are pretty and most of the time are harmless but it only takes one incident to lose several animals.

A good trick if you find one down and can't keep the cows away or move it is to spray it with diesel. They will not eat it because of the diesel and it will make it brown up a lot quicker and be of no danger.

Phil in Tupelo":3li9i530 said:
I would flag that tree and after frost and all the leaves have dried and fell, if it is my land, I would get rid of that cherry tree. Also, I would look close around tree after any kind of wind to see is any green leaves were on the ground and try to pick them up and dispose of them properly. Cherry trees are pretty and most of the time are harmless but it only takes one incident to lose several animals.

I have been cutting them on all the land I own and started on the leased properties. Just got this lease last year so I had not got to them yet. If I live long enough there will not be a cherry tree on my farms.

Is a "wild cherry" tree the same things as a "choke cherry"? My pastures are full of choke cherries.

I don't think so. Choke cherry maybe what we in Mississippi call a "Chinaberry tree". The inedible fruit kind of looks like a yellow or tan cherry on a clump of the berries. I could be wrong about what a "choke cherry" might be.

Phil in Tupelo

angus9259":eyip8vwa said:
Is a "wild cherry" tree the same things as a "choke cherry"? My pastures are full of choke cherries.

No. They are in the same family though and all prunus have cyanide in them. Chinaberry is another animal all together.