Cows as Pets?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Do you think it'd be wise to have a cow as a pet? Obviously not an indoor pet, but just a pet to roam around and do whatever they want to do? Besides feed and vaccinations - what other expenses do you think I'll have while having a cow as a pet?

[email protected]

> Do you think it'd be wise to have
> a cow as a pet? Obviously not an
> indoor pet, but just a pet to roam
> around and do whatever they want
> to do? Besides feed and
> vaccinations - what other expenses
> do you think I'll have while
> having a cow as a pet?

It depends on what you mean by pet. We have show animals that we love dearly, but we have them for a purpose and that is to compete. They are also a great tax exemption for our acreage.If you want to exhibit them then you will need special products, entry fees, special feed, hooves trimmed, clippers, trim chute, fans, blowers, shampoos, etc. We are fond of our cattle. The best thing they give us is family time together. We all work with them. I have a 16 yr old who does not have much time to get into trouble because of the time he spends at the barn. Hope this helps.

[email protected]

I don't think cattle make good pets. But if you decide to get one be sure it's a small one. Even a gentle 600-700 lb animal can hurt you. Fences are a concern; your neighbors might not think a cow in their garden is cute; also, straying onto the road and causing a car wreck could cost you something. Do your neighbors have dogs? If you decide to breed her, how will you do that. If you don't breed her, she'll come into heat and be "frisky" about every three weeks. Sometimes they go hunting a bull. Think it over...

Do you think it'd be wise to have
> having a cow as a pet?

[email protected]

> having a cow as a pet? My commercial herd are pets..they are cows and I sell the calves...they are also a tax deduction and alot of work and some are scratcable and loving and some aren't but I consider them Big pets! But you have to consider their temperments; the cost to keep them; pasture; fences; vet bills, etc. You have to have a purpose for them. They more or less have to pay for themselves in some way or another. Sharon

[email protected]

> having a cow as a pet?

Been there tried that! Not a good idea. They need to be worked with daily to keep manageable and tame. You can't just throw them out and expect them to stay nice. The bottle calves tend to turn mean the fastest. They want to play with you and they just get to big to fast! They are alot more expensive to feed than a horse to. We feed out lg cows 4 flakes of GOOD alfalfa hay and 18-20 lbs of grain A DAY!!! Where as a normal adult horse needs 2 flakes and maybe 3-6 lbs of grain a day. Good Luck!!

[email protected]

> having a cow as a pet? Depends on wether or not you want her to have a calf. Semen to breed her and cost to get her A.I. bred would be around $40-$70 depending on how good of a bull you pick to use and tech. fees to inseminate her. Having only 1 cow could be VERY LONELY for her. Do you have good fences? That can get fairly costly also. Personally I don't think a cow for a pet is very practical.

[email protected]

We have a herd of miniature cattle with the smallest animals only 34 inches and 325lbs. The bottle calves are alot of fun for the kids and their small size even as addults makes them manageable. Our smallest calf this year so far was 17 lbs and 18 inches tall from a 35 inch cow and a 34 inch bull. Check out our web page, we have lots of pictures and info

Oxen Ridge Miniature Cattle
[email protected]

Latest posts