Cows and Methane

Help Support CattleToday:

Iowa-angus

Reaction score
I was having an argument with a person on another forum about how much methane cows produce.
I was wondering how much cows do produce, and how much it would impact the environment.

TexasBred

Reaction score
Iowa..found this on a website:

How much gas does a cow produce in its lifetime?
In: Cows and Cattle

Not sure, but . . .
I can tell you with a high degree of certainty how much a cow produces in a year.

Although the amounts vary from cow to cow depending upon many variables, including the quality of the feed given to the animals, a dairy cow cranks out about 142 kilograms of methane per year. (The U.S. EPA says it's more like 100 kg/yr.) Beef cattle don't fart as prolifically, squeezing out only about a little more than half as much methane, 76 kg/yr.

Note that those figures DO NOT take into consideration the amount of methane produced by the decomposition of manure.

Lammie

Reaction score
Or how much methane is produced from all the bull on these boards.

john250

Reaction score
On that other board, I assume you are arguing about global warming. You need to make sure you argue about "man made" global warming.
Whatever methane cattle produce it is a small fraction of what 6 million buffalo produced back when this land was "pristine".

TexasBred

Reaction score
john250":24aootx3 said:
On that other board, I assume you are arguing about global warming. You need to make sure you argue about "man made" global warming.
Whatever methane cattle produce it is a small fraction of what 6 million buffalo produced back when this land was "pristine".

An indian scout with a "good nose" could always find the buffalo. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts