Cows aborting early?

Help Support CattleToday:

ousoonerfan22

Reaction score
The ranch where my son-in law is working has had four cows abort at 6-7 months do you guys know what would cause this? :???:

I don't have an answer, but I bought one this fall and she aborted a week ago, it was just starting to grow hair around the navel.

Lepto Vibrio

We had a bad outbreak in Texas when the wild hogs moved in and started getting in the tanks(ponds)

cross_7":3d3qp58d said:
Lepto Vibrio

We had a bad outbreak in Texas when the wild hogs moved in and started getting in the tanks(ponds)

I thought I had read about that on here before. His boss said they should have sent one of the calves to OSU but it's probably too late now.

A buddy had a bunch aborting a couple years ago. I thing it was around six months bred. It turned out to be bvd.

ousoonerfan22":3vabo2h9 said:
cross_7":3vabo2h9 said:
Lepto Vibrio

I thought I had read about that on here before. His boss said they should have sent one of the calves to OSU but it's probably too late now.
Can they not send a blood sample from one of the cows and get the same information?
What vaccination regimen are they using?

cows with lepto abort at 6-7 months , can't remember if they can tell from cow or not. calf has to be grabbed quickly or they are contaminated. you'd have to ask a vet when you can vaccinate at first, but after that you need to do it every year

Many possibilities...
IBR, BVD, Lepto, Neospora, high nitrates in the feed/water, Ponderosa pine needles, secondary to Anaplasmosis in the cow, the list goes on and on.
We've been diagnosing increasing numbers of Neospora abortions in our service area for the past few years. Had two in my own herd abort at about 7 months, this summer, from Neospora.
Prevalence of some causes varies from one area to another;

Diagnostic workup, including necropsy and exam of fetus and PLACENTA!!!, and maternal serum give best chance of determining the cause. Maternal serum sample alone may or may not be all that enlightening.

Unfortunately, diagnostic workups on abortion/stillbirth cases - particularly if it's just a single, sporadic case - have a fairly low definitive diagnosis rate. I go into them hoping to find the cause, but knowing that in many instances, I'm only going to be able to tell the producer and their vet what DIDN'T cause it. However, when we start seeing multiple animals aborting over a short time frame, the likelihood of determining the cause increases significantly - provided we get the proper samples to test. PLACENTA!, fetus, maternal serum, PLACENTA!, feed/water sample. Did I say placenta? Placenta!

Latest posts