COWPUPS WANTED IN OKLAHOMA

Help Support CattleToday:

Snider_Angus

Reaction score
I have realized that its gettin hard to find cowpuppy breeders around here in oklahoma. Is there a website that would possibly make finding a reputable breeder,easier. We have a local sales paper that comes out weekly where people list what they have for sale. Out of about 50 classified ads for dogs 2 of them were for blue/red heelers. Are they just not raising heelers anymore or what. Does anyone know how i could go about finding a breeder in OKLAHOMA.

if I was looking for a good all around cowdoog would look at the hanging tree dogs bred by Charlie Trayer google his name and it should give you some info I prefer these dogs or a good border collie Australian shepherd cross, heelers are to bitey in my opinion and not nearly as much self control but if you are looking for a good finished cowdog be prepared to let go off some $$$ the last started pup I sold was for $750 and the last finished dog I bought I gave around $2500 for. L.R. Alexander out of marshfield Mo. raises good Borders for the working cowman not the timid field trial type but actual working dogs

I know all about those hangin trees but i dont have 800 bucks to blow on something that might get kicked between the eyes on his first cow. Thats almost like giving 90,000 for a show heifer. dont make any sense. A $800 or $2,500 dog wont be any better than a free-$150 dog. Our best cowdogs we have had were heelers and were free. We have had them all except the Hangin Tree's. I couldn't imagine spending $2,500 on a finished dog that you could have trained in a month for absolutely nothing $$$.I would love to have one but i dont NEED one. I have a couple of friends(ag majors) at Oklahoma State that are lookin for me.

Snider_Angus":3duvjcsw said:
I know all about those hangin trees but i dont have 800 bucks to blow on something that might get kicked between the eyes on his first cow. Thats almost like giving 90,000 for a show heifer. dont make any sense. A $800 or $2,500 dog wont be any better than a free-$150 dog. Our best cowdogs we have had were heelers and were free. We have had them all except the Hangin Tree's. I couldn't imagine spending $2,500 on a finished dog that you could have trained in a month for absolutely nothing $$$.I would love to have one but i dont NEED one. I have a couple of friends(ag majors) at Oklahoma State that are lookin for me.

not trying to be a smarta$$ but if you can finish a dog in a month you need to train them for a living and go to making lots of money, a good finished dog is like a good finished horse takes lots of time and work something only age brings have never seen a finished dog less than 2yrs oldand never seen a finished horse less than 5 or 6yrs old

its clear snider angus has never had a good cowdog. if you have one and use him you will never be without one no matter what the cost.

i train border collies,i have one finished dog that i would sell at this time pm me if you want more info.
home of
"2008 Tulsa state fair cow dog trial champion" "pat"

Try catahoulas. They're less prone to being aggressive to people but still good guard dogs and lots of natural instinct for them to herd. They herd differently than heelers so keep that in mind. I know of several breeders in Oklahoma. I like heelers but don't like dogs that can't get along with other dogs.

Best dang working dog Ive ever had was a half red heeler(cattle dog) and half pitbull. There wasnt nothing that he couldnt bring out of the brush and he ALWAYS kept a good handle on him from the time he was 4 months old. Yes, he would get behind them when he got them moving out. Cant just go out and find a cross like that so Ive been thinking bout breeding my female for a litter of them in a couple of years.