cowhorse ?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi-

I am looking for some advice
I have a horse that I am having trouble with on calves.
Some background-- I am not new to horses or cattle- But a total greenhorn on mixing the two and have no one to learn from.
I have a pre-conditioning operation. We bring in 7-9 wt bulls off sales. Keep them 6-8 wks.
I broke the horse just fine. Seemed to have a good mind. He went right to working calves, has a good eye, balance and method.

My problem is that over the six months he has become FANATICAL about the calves. I can do anything with him and hes great--- Till I try and turn him away before the job is done(I have job related reasons for doing this).He gets VERY agitated and fights me.Last straw was last week when he thru me off while he was in an agitated state and got boogered by the dog running by. I don't trust him now and want this to stop.

I understand that he has instincts and I have made good use of them in most things. I train Border Collies and understand that tromping on instincts can backfire.

I have been trying patience and just work him thru this( I always win and we go where I want- but he never completely settles till we get back on calves)- I know I have to change something, its getting worse instead of better with what I am doing now.

Any hints on how I should be thinking of this issue?
Any suggestions how to handle this?
I'm leaning towards thinking of him as a "spoiled" brat- on this one issue.

Thanks
Karen

Howdyjabo":3b0ojv99 said:
Hi-

I am looking for some advice
I have a horse that I am having trouble with on calves.
Some background-- I am not new to horses or cattle- But a total greenhorn on mixing the two and have no one to learn from.
I have a pre-conditioning operation. We bring in 7-9 wt bulls off sales. Keep them 6-8 wks.
I broke the horse just fine. Seemed to have a good mind. He went right to working calves, has a good eye, balance and method.

My problem is that over the six months he has become FANATICAL about the calves. I can do anything with him and hes great--- Till I try and turn him away before the job is done(I have job related reasons for doing this).He gets VERY agitated and fights me.Last straw was last week when he thru me off while he was in an agitated state and got boogered by the dog running by. I don't trust him now and want this to stop.

I understand that he has instincts and I have made good use of them in most things. I train Border Collies and understand that tromping on instincts can backfire.

I have been trying patience and just work him thru this( I always win and we go where I want- but he never completely settles till we get back on calves)- I know I have to change something, its getting worse instead of better with what I am doing now.

Any hints on how I should be thinking of this issue?
Any suggestions how to handle this?
I'm leaning towards thinking of him as a "spoiled" brat- on this one issue.

Thanks
Karen
Take him off cattle completly (for a time), long rides in the country, any thing new and different, think basic, handle a lot every day away from cows. He needs to see the big picture. Then ease him back on cattle slowly
If he reverts back to the old pattern- back to the country.

Thanks- now that you mention it. It makes sense.
This problem has escalated since I basically quit training on him and just put him to work everyday.
I can't quit using him on the calves- but I can add in some pleasure riding on the side and add in some more advanced training sessions.
Hes gonna be one fit horse after 2-4 hrs putting calves up and another 1-2 doing pleasure work- but I think he can hold up to it-- if I can.

I put some spurs on yesterday(on advice from local reiner trainer)- I figured he would get more agitated with them - but he actually settled down better when I used them to back up my leg when he was maneuvering to get back on the calves.

I feel a little hopeful that I can get this behind us- Thanks again

Just wanted to say thanks-

The way things worked out we have taken the last two weeks off moving cattle(didn't have to put any up to eat- lots of grass!!!).Which I wouldn't have done if you hadn't pointed out what you did. I like putting them up to get them settled down in case I have to put them up.
So we have just been riding thru and not picking up and moving anything. Its been an amazing spell- two weeks and haven't had to pull a single sick calf.

I have also gone back to some advanced training riding- Guess I'm gonna have a dressage horse too(thats my horse background). Think we could do a passable T3! I swore when I got him that I wasn't gonna do anymore training than just enough to put the calves up.

Hes gotten better- still alittle high headed at times but not that aggitated stuff.

The spurs have helped too- he gets to thinking about going a different way than I want to and doesn't give in fast- they change his mind. I'm having to use them very little now. Can't wait till I can leave them off- I have tripped and hit the ground three times already trying to walk around with them on :roll: .

Its funny- but the other day there was a calf that I thought might be sick and I had to leg the horse the whole time to walk into it to make it get up and move for me.

We'll see how it holds up- today its back to putting a load up--gotta get them ready to load out. But there are still two more loads that we are just gonna ride thru as long as the grass holds out.

Thanks again

Latest posts