Cowboys

Help Support CattleToday:

skip

Reaction score
I hear people say that cowboying the "old way" is a dying art. We'll I watched a wonderful show on RFD-TV the other day and I watched a family, all on horseback in the blowing snow, working their cattle. I think cowboying is alive and well. Thanks to modern clothing, they did look a little more protected from the elements. From someone who lives in South Central Texas, my hat goes off to you guys.

i can bundle up like an eskimo and get on my 4 wheeler and take a couple sacks of feed and pen my cows, don't have to worry about getting bucked off.

I have gotten to the point that I'd rather run on foot while I'm still young enough to. I've had enough of horses the past few years. Once I get the 3-wheeler working that will be what is used more than them stupid horses.

:p Well Guys, when it gets cold i can saddle up my horse and she is ready to go. And :| the 4wheeler will not start. So, it goes to show you that horses are not stupid. It's the lack of knowledge of the horse owner.
Sorry, but that is the true facts.
;-)
MP

M&JFARM":1y5h7uou said:
:p Well Guys, when it gets cold i can saddle up my horse and she is ready to go. And :| the 4wheeler will not start. So, it goes to show you that horses are not stupid. It's the lack of knowledge of the horse owner.
Sorry, but that is the true facts.
;-)
MP

When the only "ridable horses around are jumpy, skittish or pieces of crap doesn't matter how much you know about them. Cold weather sets them off doesn't take much for them to go into a bucking fit and if you weren't ready land on your butt after a while...

I TRULY UNDERSTAND YOUR REASONING. THEY ARE JUST LIKE 4 WHEELERS OR ANYTHING WITH A MOTOR. THEY HAVE TO BE RIDDEN ON A DAILY BASIS OR EVERYOTHER DAY TO KEEP THEIR JOINTS LUBRICATED. JUST LIKE A TRUCK OF ANY KIND, IF WE DO NOT DRIVE THEM ON A REGULAR BASIS, THEY GET HARDER TO START AND THEN JUST LIKE A HORSE YOU HAVE TO WARM THEM UP. :D

I agree! ;-) I tend to like to saddle up our horses more then jump on the stinkin' 4-wheeler. I mean at times the 4-wheeler can be good. Like when you need to go fast. But I tend to like to ride horses better. THe more yopu work with them the better they are. They have brakes, unlikely a horse won't stop, but a 4-wheelers brakes might go out. They also know when to back off. Like herding a cow, the horse won't let it but her, but a 4-wheeler might considering it doesn't have a brain. :p So indeed both are good, but I still like the old fashioned way-horse back! Some people also might just not have the talent to ride horses. Anybody can drive a 4-wheeler but not everyone can stay on a horse. :p
Bye,
Ellie May

:cboy:

Horses sure were handy to have around before petroleum power came along. Feed, trucks and four wheelers do a good job these days, but we still use the horses for gathering range cattle. I like the view better too.

D.R. Cattle":krv2362x said:
Horses sure were handy to have around before petroleum power came along. Feed, trucks and four wheelers do a good job these days, but we still use the horses for gathering range cattle. I like the view better too.

AND RIDING A HORSE IS MUCH MUCH QUIETER. ITS NICE TO NOT HERE MOTOR SOUNDS AND SMELL FUMES, BUT TO ONLY SMELL THE NATURE AND JUST TAKE TIME OUT ON THE RANGE FOR ALL ITS WORTH. :cboy: ;-)

My mule (Kawasaki) only eats when it's working. I keep it in a buiilding and never have to shovel up behind it, it's feed takes up a lot less space then hay, goes anywhere I'm dumb enough to want to go, carries fencing equipment all the time, and on and on. It's feet may need new shoes but only every couple of years instead of trimming them every month or so. Only disadvantage is that when I leave it at the far side of the pasture it won;t come when I call it.
If I started smelling fumes I would get the exhaust system fixed. May not be as smart as a horse but it sure isn't near as stupid as one either.

dun

dun":2njrhrut said:
My mule (Kawasaki) only eats when it's working. I keep it in a buiilding and never have to shovel up behind it, it's feed takes up a lot less space then hay, goes anywhere I'm dumb enough to want to go, carries fencing equipment all the time, and on and on. It's feet may need new shoes but only every couple of years instead of trimming them every month or so. Only disadvantage is that when I leave it at the far side of the pasture it won;t come when I call it.
If I started smelling fumes I would get the exhaust system fixed. May not be as smart as a horse but it sure isn't near as stupid as one either.

dun
WELL, IM GLAD THAT WORKS FOR YOU. YOU SOUND LIKE A YOUNG FELLA THAT MAY BE VERY PROTECTIVE OF HIMSELF AND MAYBE A BIT AFRAID OF HORSES? BUT DONT WORRY, THAT IS JUST NATURAL FOR SOME FOLKS.

Hate to break the news, but we sold out of the horse business in the 70's. Worked cows with them, broke and trained them, even messed around with the showring for a while.
Couldn't find anything I couldn't do any better with them then I could without them.
Must admit though that they were a lot easier riding then the one cow I trained to ride.

dun

M&JFARM":8iidlojl said:
dun":8iidlojl said:

dun
WELL, IM GLAD THAT WORKS FOR YOU. YOU SOUND LIKE A YOUNG FELLA THAT MAY BE VERY PROTECTIVE OF HIMSELF AND MAYBE A BIT AFRAID OF HORSES? BUT DONT WORRY, THAT IS JUST NATURAL FOR SOME FOLKS.

I'm not an old fart but I have tried using horses and 4-wheelers. Dollar for dollar it just seems cheaper to only feed something when it's actually working. Further, I hate having to balance an animals diet better than I do my own.

I need to know everybody's secret for corralling cattle with ATV's. The only luck I've had is with feed or horses. But for the smart one's, they have to be forced into the lane and horse is the only way I've been able to do that so far.

D.R. Cattle":fpoddde5 said:
I need to know everybody's secret for corralling cattle with ATV's. The only luck I've had is with feed or horses. But for the smart one's, they have to be forced into the lane and horse is the only way I've been able to do that so far.

we use our 4-wheelers the same as you would a horse when you're talking about forcing. the cows need to be conditioned to them the same as they do for horses. if we would take a horse out in our pastures, the cows would scatter in all directions because they are never worked w/horses.

K Bar G":28j10tmw said:
I'm not an old fart but I have tried using horses and 4-wheelers. Dollar for dollar it just seems cheaper to only feed something when it's actually working. Further, I hate having to balance an animals diet better than I do my own.

& remember, a horse eats as much as 3-4 cows.

For a real joy, try herding a 3 year old male llama that has never been handled. Even worse is an Emu.

dun

D.R. Cattle":2gc0hqlc said:

Latest posts