Cowboys

Help Support CattleToday:

I've never been a real cowboy but I've been dressing like one before I could put my own boots on. I wear a hat as much as possible and prefer a cowboy hat. If it's not raining I'll be wearing a cowboy hat and boots in Kentucky on the 21st, 22nd, and 23rd at the farm show. :cboy:

callmefence said:
alisonb said:
How many cattle must one herd/handle/lasso/poke/drive on horseback before one is considered a Cowboy? Can one be a 'hobby' cowboy? :???:

No limit on the hobby status.... poking the cattle is not allowed.

So a cowpoke, also known as a cowboy, may just be referred to as such in certain areas?

An old guy once told me that a Cattleman was the one that owned the cows, and a Cowboy was the one that worked the cows. And that's why they treated em so different.

callmefence said:
For any wannabes. You need to study and learn this well.

https://youtu.be/V4q1WUmIVgI

Ole Dale has made quit the career for himself with that personality. Travels a lot to. He's liable to turn up anywhere.

jehosofat said:
An old guy once told me that a Cattleman was the one that owned the cows, and a Cowboy was the one that worked the cows. And that's why they treated em so different.

I would prefer to be a cattleman over a cowboy. More money.

sim.-ang.king said:
jehosofat said:

Sometimes I wonder.

sim.-ang.king said:
jehosofat said:

Just finished this book yesterday. It talked about Teddy Blue as much as it talked about the big money guys that managed the ranches for the stockholders. It was definitely better to be the owner than the hired hand, especially during the Big Die-Up. Also focused on the Johnson County War, which was an interesting blip in American history.

https://www.amazon.com/Cattle-Kingdom-Hidden-History-Cowboy/dp/0544369963/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548876509&sr=8-1&keywords=cattle+kingdom

cowboy43 said:
1. The cowboy must never shoot first ,hit a smaller man, or take unfair advantage.
2. He must never go back on his word, or a trust confided in him.
3. He must always tell the truth.
4. He must be gentle with children, the elderly and animals.
5. He must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant ideas.
6. He must help people in distress.
7. He must be a good worker.
8. He must keep himself clean in thought , speech, action and personal habits.
9. He must respect women, parents and his nations laws.
10. The cowboy is a patriot.
Whose Cowboy Code was this? :cboy: :cowboy: Hint famous movie star :cboy: :cowboy:
Getting 10 out of 10 on that pretty much qualifies any and all so-called cowboys around here. They have the hat, belt, boots, horse, and rig too but it's usually sitting in front of the sale barn cafe.

Ones here can debate or argue all kinds of crap. For the most part I don't care what makes a cowboy or whatever we want to call ourselves. Several around here think if they have a horse in the yard they're a cowboy or cowgirl. That bothers me a bit because usually the horse isn't in very good shape. I don't see nothing wrong with wearing cowboy hats and cowboy boots or a base ball cap and shorts. Plenty of good & bad people wearing both. I don't go around worrying if someone thinks I'm a cowboy, cattleman, redneck, rebel, southerner, easterner or whatever. How I see it if I look good in it and comfortable in it I'll wear it. Guess I try blending in with the atmosphere of wherever I go to an extent.
Have a hat that I worn many years with cowboy boots that I got teased a lot looking like Indiana Jones. Still wear it from time to time.

My father was one of the few I would consider a real cowboy in our neck of the woods. He lived his life on horseback. He made his living breaking colts and worked his butt off every day. If he did find himself bored, he helped out a neighbor with barn chores for a couple of months. He broke out thoroughbreds for jumping barns, started BLM mustangs, roped at his buddies every Thursday night, and was a world show qualifier in timed cattle events multiple times over. He was not a cattleman, cattle were simply a tool for keeping horses trained and the property taxes down. He used to keep a punch or two around to pull the stone boat. He fed all that stock by forking hay onto the stone boat, and forking it off in the pasture, the weather did not matter. It was only after his second bout with cancer that he broke down and bought a skid steer to feed hay with. He drug hoses across the farm to water stock until his couldn't walk anymore, there never was an automatic stock waterer on the place while he was alive. If he could not fix it with his own two hands, he considered it a lost cause. One of the hardest days of his life was putting down his beloved stallion, and eventually we would spread my dad's ashes in that very spot. He counted some very good dogs among his best friends and judged a man by the horse he rode. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.... :( :cry2:

I wear the hat, call it hair.
I have a cap, straw or felt hat on if outside. Got the boots too not the beer don't drink the stuff. Haven't rode bulls in over forty years. Don't have a hubcap for a belt buckle.Sold all my horses forty years ago so I'm disqualified.

Boot Jack Bulls said:
My father was one of the few I would consider a real cowboy in our neck of the woods. He lived his life on horseback. He made his living breaking colts and worked his butt off every day. If he did find himself bored, he helped out a neighbor with barn chores for a couple of months. He broke out thoroughbreds for jumping barns, started BLM mustangs, roped at his buddies every Thursday night, and was a world show qualifier in timed cattle events multiple times over. He was not a cattleman, cattle were simply a tool for keeping horses trained and the property taxes down. He used to keep a punch or two around to pull the stone boat. He fed all that stock by forking hay onto the stone boat, and forking it off in the pasture, the weather did not matter. It was only after his second bout with cancer that he broke down and bought a skid steer to feed hay with. He drug hoses across the farm to water stock until his couldn't walk anymore, there never was an automatic stock waterer on the place while he was alive. If he could not fix it with his own two hands, he considered it a lost cause. One of the hardest days of his life was putting down his beloved stallion, and eventually we would spread my dad's ashes in that very spot. He counted some very good dogs among his best friends and judged a man by the horse he rode. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.... :( :cry2:
Good post...

I'll tell on thing....I'll wear a ten gallon Stetson with a rattlesnake hatband and a stuffed quail on top. Along with boots, chaps and Spurs, while riding a stick horse through Walmart before I'll wear a sports jersey with someone else's name on it.

callmefence said:
I'll tell on thing....I'll wear a ten gallon Stetson with a rattlesnake hatband and a stuffed quail on top. Along with boots, chaps and Spurs, while riding a stick horse through Walmart before I'll wear a sports jersey with someone else's name on it.

Made me laugh out loud. Takes a lot to do that.

There are what I would consider cowboys (and cowgirls) around here because ranching is all they do, the majority of it on horse. Almost as if it's in their blood (and sweat, and tears). You can't fake that. And they wear boots, long sleeve shirts & cowboy hats even when it's blazing hot to protect themselves from the sun. Outstanding individuals and I'm pretty sure they could care less what they're called - they don't carry business cards with impressive titles.

callmefence said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: You'd for sure make the People of Walmart website of shame!

True Grit Farms said:
I've never been a real cowboy but I've been dressing like one before I could put my own boots on. I wear a hat as much as possible and prefer a cowboy hat. If it's not raining I'll be wearing a cowboy hat and boots in Kentucky on the 21st, 22nd, and 23rd at the farm show. :cboy:
Then your gonna be late because the farm show is the 13th-16th

Latest posts