Cowboys on call

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky

Reaction score
I noticed a lot of post in the other forums about folks taking animals to vet. How many of y'all still have a Cowboy you can call to come catch a cow or doctor a sick animal without having to haul them to town? I have several that I can still get to come out but seems like fewer and fewer every year. I rarely hear or talk to any younger guys that are doing this which is kind of concerning to me.

Lucky":2lejzzz1 said:
I noticed a lot of post in the other forums about folks taking animals to vet. How many of y'all still have a Cowboy you can call to come catch a cow or doctor a sick animal without having to haul them to town? I have several that I can still get to come out but seems like fewer and fewer every year. I rarely hear or talk to any younger guys that are doing this which is kind of concerning to me.

I would rather have a dose of clap than a "cowboy" .I quit failing that IQ test.

If I can't call and catch them with a bucket of cubes I am getting a better cow.

The :bs: of catching, stressing a cow by snubbing up to a tree has gone the way of the dinosaurs.
That is what working pens are for.

Caustic Burno":1d2b3648 said:
Lucky":1d2b3648 said:

I would rather have a dose of clap than a "cowboy" .I quit failing that IQ test.

If I can't call and catch them with a bucket of cubes I am getting a better cow.

The :bs: of catching, stressing a cow by snubbing up to a tree has gone the way of the dinosaurs.

:bs:
If you don't have a way, a plan to catch loose cattle your asking for trouble. I agree it's not the first or best option. But Its quite common to require men horses and dogs to gather a pasture. Capital livestock. The biggest stocker operation in the country doctor's cattle in the pasture with horses. Most of the cowboys live within a few miles. And I've hired them before.
Jordans cattle auction makes Crockett look like the Podunk outfit that it is.
Cattle are handled from unloading to loading by horseback. A good many of the cowboys there are highschool kids on lunch break.

The "cowboy" practice is rare here. There is one big operation that has horses and gear to handle crazy cattle if they get out on a highway. The state calls them and the cost is charged to the owner of the cattle.

The vets are converting to the practice of bringing livestock to them.

Bright Raven":3v9makcw said:
The "cowboy" practice is rare here. There is one big operation that has horses and gear to handle crazy cattle if they get out on a highway. The state calls them and the cost is charged to the owner of the cattle.

If your getting one doctored by a Vet here Your hauling it in.
Cattle behavior hasn't changed you don't need a bunch guys wearing belt buckles as big as hubcaps to catch
cattle.

There's very few here doing what you speak of. Only one person comes to mind, as a day hand. I can think of 2 people that would catch nuisance/wild cattle.

Caustic Burno":3it09sp2 said:
Bright Raven":3it09sp2 said:

Cattle behavior hasn't changed you don't need a bunch guys wearing belt buckles as big as hubcaps to catch
cattle.

I agree. They still make farm visits here but they INSIST that you have good facilities.

Bigfoot":3ftb6iqp said:
There's very few here doing what you speak of. Only one person comes to mind, as a day hand. I can think of 2 people that would catch nuisance/wild cattle.

Troy. Rocking P in Maysville does. They are famous for it. The state uses them if cattle are running loose and the owner cannot handle them. I know Keith well. I have bought about 10 heifers off their operations.
2vkiwb7.png

Bright Raven":2v91ou87 said:
Caustic Burno":2v91ou87 said:
Bright Raven":2v91ou87 said:

cattle.

I agree. They still make farm visits here but they INSIST that you have good facilities.

You hit the nail on the head,key word good facilities.

Caustic Burno":3kp7phy6 said:
Bright Raven":3kp7phy6 said:
Caustic Burno":3kp7phy6 said:
cattle.

The best facility in the world is useless when the cow is on the outside of it. :dunce:

Caustic Burno":1z5cyxi2 said:
Bright Raven":1z5cyxi2 said:

cattle.

Hope my vet doesn't read this thread. He still comes to our place. Here he is working on a prolapse two weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
callmefence":1mtxq2y6 said:
Caustic Burno":1mtxq2y6 said:
Bright Raven":1mtxq2y6 said:

The best facility in the world is useless when the cow is on the outside of it. :dunce:

You know how to keep your cattle home?
Feed them even easier to catch them it's called limited Water sources.
I played cowboy in the salt grass country decades ago that's a testosterone problem versus a thought out solution.

TennesseeTuxedo":21lgu7fz said:
Caustic Burno":21lgu7fz said:
Bright Raven":21lgu7fz said:

cattle.

Hope my vet doesn't read this thread. He still comes to our place. Here he is working on a prolapse two weeks ago.

The two vets here wouldn't touch that cow unless she was in headgate minimum.

Caustic Burno":384arwjs said:
callmefence":384arwjs said:
Caustic Burno":384arwjs said:

I played cowboy in the salt grass country decades ago that's a testosterone problem versus a thought out solution.

I never said I played cowboy. I'm smart enough to know when I need help. And since I work for a living I can't get hurt.
Did catch one a few weeks back by running her off a creek bank with a four wheeler and tying her in the creek. Came back and winched her in the trailer and hauled here to town. You've obviously never handled any Brimmer's in a pasture bigger than a few acres. So I'll pardon your ignorance.... :D

We have a couple guys around here that play vet. Several have horses and will still go catch a wild cow. I've got a buddy that I call from time to time to do any pasture doctoring. He'll bring horses and dogs if need be but anymore a dart gun is what he uses. I'm not going to gather everything when just one needs doctoring.

We had some wild a$$ cows on a lease farm a year ago that he had to gather. We caught all but 2 cows and a big calf. Him and a buddy of his had them all roped in no time. I could have spend weeks trying to gentle them down but I needed them to the salebarn that weekend.

callmefence":26k6jk83 said:
Caustic Burno":26k6jk83 said:
callmefence":26k6jk83 said:

I never said I played cowboy. I'm smart enough to know when I need help. And since I work for a living I can't get hurt.
Did catch one a few weeks back by running her off a creek bank with a four wheeler and tying her in the creek. Came back and winched her in the trailer and hauled here to town. You've obviously never handled any Brimmer's in a pasture bigger than a few acres. So I'll pardon your ignorance.... :D

Your probably right that 900 acres on Armand Bayou was the largest I ever ran Brimmers on.

Caustic Burno":1k9kyjie said:
callmefence":1k9kyjie said:
Caustic Burno":1k9kyjie said:

Your probably right that 900 acres on Armand Bayou was the largest I ever ran Brimmers on.

You can't limit water on a 900acre pasture with any kind of normal rainfall
Except in the desert maybe..

callmefence":35qiw5rd said:
Caustic Burno":35qiw5rd said:
Lucky":35qiw5rd said:

If you don't have a way, a plan to catch loose cattle your asking for trouble. I agree it's not the first or best option. But Its quite common to require men horses and dogs to gather a pasture. Capital livestock. The biggest stocker operation in the country doctor's cattle in the pasture with horses. Most of the cowboys live within a few miles. And I've hired them before.
Jordans cattle auction makes Crockett look like the Podunk outfit that it is.
Cattle are handled from unloading to loading by horseback. A good many of the cowboys there are highschool kids on lunch break.

That's what I would be most afraid of. I'm with CB on this one....if I can't get them in a corral with feed I need to get rid of the cow.

The top picture is one of my favorites, mainly because I survived. That's my horse in the background, and the rope has a cow on the end of it that I was tying down when the bull crested the hill. If you look close, you can see the tail of the rope headed behind my horse.....Which is where I had evacuated to. That horse's name is Crash, which he was deservedly awarded, and he was fairly young at the time. This was a trial by fire moment, and he never weakened. That's my buddy Ben that came sailing in to save my life. When shyt gets real, I'd much rather have a few cowboys to help than any catch pen. Crash is nearing 15 now, but is still the go to mount on the tough jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts