Cow won't let milk down?

Help Support CattleToday:

edb130

Reaction score
I have a two year old heifer that dropped her calf three days ago. I thought the calf was getting milk by the way she was sucking but come to find out the cow won't let any milk down. Got the calf on milk replacer and medicine for scours from not getting anything the first two days and she appears she'll make it. Went to the vet and he perscribed 10cc Oxytocin twice daily for three days and some Furocemide to ease the swelling in her bag, 10cc once daily for five days. My question is, how long before I should see milk coming. I tried to milk her tonight in the chute while giving her, her third injection of oxytocin and there is no milk coming out. She doesn't have mastitis, so I am at a loss. Any other suggestions other than what the vet perscribed? Thanks

If memory serves, oxytocin should have fairly immediate results. Some heifers are just extremely bad milkers, sounds like this one might be one. Is the calf penned with her mother? If so, she might be stripping mom before you have a chance to milk her. Just my thoughts.

msscamp":36igvjew said:
If memory serves, oxytocin should have fairly immediate results. Some heifers are just extremely bad milkers, sounds like this one might be one. Is the calf penned with her mother? If so, she might be stripping mom before you have a chance to milk her. Just my thoughts.

Yes, oxytocin should have an immediate effect. I can't remember exactly how long, but probably not much more than 5-10 min. Sounds to me that she has no milk. You will have to bottle the calf, or finda new momma for it I think.

randiliana":2nrjb9gf said:
msscamp":2nrjb9gf said:

Yes, oxytocin should have an immediate effect. I can't remember exactly how long, but probably not much more than 5-10 min.

Thanks Randi, that's what I was thinking, too. Edb130, we've had a few calves delivered under the circumstances you're describing - calf was pulled and bottled, mom took a one-way ride. Just my thoughts.

Well you have one of two dilemmas - either the cow doesn't have any milk, or she won't let her milk down.

When oxytocin is administered, you will see an almost-immediate result, but it's not really something you "SEE". Oxytocin acts in two ways, the first and only one that matters to you - milk letdown. If the cow is truly holding her milk, then you won't be able to get "much" out of the teats. A few strips, and then nothing, but her udder will still look/feel full and you know there's something not quite right. Oxytocin will cause her to letdown her milk and she won't have any choice in the matter - you strip and there will be milk.

On the other hand, if the cow doesn't have any milk... then you're out of luck. Can't make the cow let milk down if there isn't any there. :lol:

BTW, the correct dosage for oxytocin for milk letdown is ~1cc, sometimes more if the heifer/cow is extremely nervous. I've done up to 4ccs on certain heifers. The 10cc dosage is for o.b. use - uterine contractions. Not that 10ccs is really going to be harmful or anything; it's just not neccessary to give that much.

With IM use, milk letdown should be in 1-3 minutes, no more. IV use and it's instant. Wait too long and it's not going to be effective any longer - it does wear off. For that matter, going out and hitting her with oxytocin twice daily and calling it good - isn't. If you're going to give it, have her in the chute and put the calf on a minute or two after giving oxytocin. If you do it like that, and then come to the conclusion the calf is not getting any milk, then I'd go with the obvious - there really isn't anything there.

Some animals calve and have a no lactation, they just don't have any milk. Can get her bred again and try again, or ship her down the road.

GMN

edb130":3vqql7g5 said:
I have a two year old heifer that dropped her calf three days ago. I thought the calf was getting milk by the way she was sucking but come to find out the cow won't let any milk down. Got the calf on milk replacer and medicine for scours from not getting anything the first two days and she appears she'll make it. Went to the vet and he perscribed 10cc Oxytocin twice daily for three days and some Furocemide to ease the swelling in her bag, 10cc once daily for five days. My question is, how long before I should see milk coming. I tried to milk her tonight in the chute while giving her, her third injection of oxytocin and there is no milk coming out. She doesn't have mastitis, so I am at a loss. Any other suggestions other than what the vet perscribed? Thanks

1/4 cc is all that is required for milk let down....so 10 cc is WAY too much. Furosemide is a diuretic to pull swelling but will also greatly decrease milk production. I use Naquasone instead...

Is there absolutely no milk or liquid at all? If so, she has malformed teats or a membrane blocking the dropping. Even very small udders will produce a drop of milk!

Vicky the vet":36wpqx9m said:
1/4 cc is all that is required for milk let down....so 10 cc is WAY too much. Furosemide is a diuretic to pull swelling but will also greatly decrease milk production. I use Naquasone instead...

What's Naquasone?

milkmaid":aqlid4z3 said:
Vicky the vet":aqlid4z3 said:

What's Naquasone?

If I'm not mistaken, it is much along the lines of a diuretic, like Lasix and Furesemide. It aids in reducing fluid build-up. It is a rather large yellow tablet. Often prescribed for horses that are "stocked-up" or for other issues with edema.

Katherine

Is there absolutely no milk or liquid at all? If so, she has malformed teats or a membrane blocking the dropping. Even very small udders will produce a drop of milk!

This is a first calf heifer and she had a tough time having the calf. She has an udder that would compare with any of my holsteins when I was milking years ago, absolutely beautiful. I couldn't get a drop of milk out of either of the front quarters. Couldn't get my hand on the back due to her kicking. Have been bottle feeding calf, and calf is doing well. Let two older calves at her and they were going to town on her and there was froth on their mouths, not sure if it was milk or just from them working so hard to get some. Unfortunately, My company is making me fly out for two weeks and I have to leave the farm. My wife, dad, and mother were going to put her in the chute this afternoon and try stripping her teats again to see if she is letting milk now. If she is they will put the calf back on her. Thanks to everyone for all the reply's.

Latest posts