Cow wont get up

Help Support CattleToday:

wayannie

Reaction score
Hi I am new at this asking a question for a friend his cow is
in calf and at the moment she is down on all fours head up still eating drinking everything else is working ok
She just cant get up if she is rolled on to her side breathing is a little laboured and she cant raise her body at all ..
Apart from the fact this cow is down everthing else seems ok
but this is three days now Vet has given snake bite ,3 day sickness as possibility $500.00 later no answers any sugestions
Thankyou ann :?: :?:

Is she due to calve now? Just because you can't see the calf, doesn't mean she's not trying to calve.

3 Days is a long time. Have you tried to pick her up with a tractor or roll her over? Think about this - if you were to lay on your arm for 3 days, what would it feel like?

The longer she is down, the less her chances of getting up.

Have you thought about calling out a different vet?

If she is due soon, I would be digging up in there to see what you can feel. She may have calving paralysis. As the calf is there cutting off the nerves so she can't stand. Does she try to get up at all, as in the front legs work but not the rear end? You are going to have to try to stand her with the tractor and a sling or if her front legs work, that hip lock device can be used. (Can't remember what they call it, but you clamp it on the hooks, hook the chain to the loader and lift) The previous poster is correct, the longer she is down the less chance of recovery. I'd get the vet out again.

Thankyou for the replys.
No she hasnt been up at all .
He has informed me that she is due in about a week.

He has been moving her around to try get her mobile.
Rolling her over to move her legs out from under her
Will lift her with the tractor today see what happens.
He has tried a few vets in our area alas to many dog and cat doctors not enough Farm animal experence in our area!!!
Trying another today fingers crossed .
This may seem a silly question although I know nothing about cows just concerned for the poor animal do cows if feeling unwell lay down ?
I can see if I weighed as much it would indeed be hard to get back up if my legs went to sleep. Thanks Ann

Well Annie......

A week aint nothin...sounds like its getting to be an emergency about now.......like humans, cows can and do calve earlier and or later then expected at times.......

I would now be very concerned about the health of both the cow and the calf inside..........

Some one MUST get inside of her and feel for problems....NOW!otherwise you will be wondering what to do with a dead 2 in 1.

Well I can not Thank everyone enough for the help and advice given He got hold of a vet today that at least had some knowledge on the subject They have put her on a drip to induce her will let you all know the out come ,
The possible explanation given was toxaemia fingers crossed that's it. He was given this cow as a lawn mower as he has a
bit of land to keep pity she dint come with an instruction booklet he only knows the basics Thanks again everyone advice from people who know about such matters is most comforting
Ann :lol:

Hello Medic 24
Well not to much to report this morning she is looking a little better I'm told
She has had a good 500ml of glucose and 500ml of calcium
Also cortisone injection in the rear section?
Along with the hormone injection …
I hope mum and bub are both ok ..
I live on the Gold Coast Queensland
Bob the man who owns the cow lives on the out skirts of the main area.
Most of the Vets here as I said deal with Dogs and cats ..
Im a sucker for anything sick and injured wild life birds lizards
Anything good to know a little about everything as you never know when it is needed but alas cows nooooo well will inform Ann

Ahhhh, thanks so much for the update, and please keep us posted as to the outcome eh?

Been to Gold Coast..... love it....... Cairns up the road bit is where we spent part of our honeymoon back in prehistoric times. A bloody hot place though at times. I do remember the sunburn I got on top of me head there....I even still had hair back then...now that was some sun! :cboy:

HELP HELP HELP!!!

LOOKS LIKE IM A MUM for a while We spend hours with the

cow today she delivered her calf.
I have taken her home as Bob isnt there to care for her all day .. Hope the mum survives the night, lucky its not cold here but she doesnt look to good at all sad to see a beast thats so strong so helpless!! He had to pull it free called the vet told him to make sure he had everything out placenta ?
done the best we can I hope
Can some one explaine what are the balls like nuts inside there are?

Ok a few questiond this baby is about 4 weeks prem we think
earlier than he first thought. She doesnt seem to drink
any sugestions it is late here cant get hold of a vet till morning
but will sit with her for the night
I have formula for her ..
Ill keep comimg back here on the hour hope some ones about Ann

OK I got help !!!
I found a dairy farmer not far away he came over and got
her he is going to take her home just make sure shes drinking ok as she is a little frail he said she looks good and should be ok will bring her back when shes feeding ok I guess he has a cow for colostrum dont know how to spell .
Thankyou for your help here nice bunch of people cow people :_}}} :D

Sounds like you got some good help. Colostrum is a pretty important first step for the babies to get them goin and keep 'em healthy. The "buttons" you were refering to, have a name, that I can't remember, but they all have them, and I believe (someone will correct me if I'm wrong), it has something to do with keeping the baby attatched to that lining, and that lining attatched to the uterus. Make sure you have a good milk replacer on hand, milk out mama cow if possible, maybe a tube feeder, bottle, lamb nipple works best if it's a premie, Clean dry place to lay, and the best of luck to you and your new born!

Dee":1mzryd7x said:
The "buttons" you were refering to, have a name, that I can't remember, but they all have them, and I believe (someone will correct me if I'm wrong), it has something to do with keeping the baby attatched to that lining, and that lining attatched to the uterus.

If thats what your refering too, they're called cotolydons (sp) and they attach to the wall of the uterus via the caruncles on the uterine wall. Think of snaps on a shirt. The cotolydon is the hollow part the caruncles are the post part.
Thats is how the embryo/calf is nourished and wastes removed.

dun

I would say those are the things lots of them ..thanks Dee thanks Dun
weird place inside a cow if you dont know what to feel for .
We were told to make sure as got as much gunk possible but not the nobbley things Is this correct ?Also to get a tablet from the vet that you insert and it foams up to help clean out mum ..Vet will be out to her today I hope !!!!! :x
I couldnt sleep last night poor thing not even my cow but I cant leave anything to suffer ..I just want mum and bub back together Thanks again Ann

:cry:
Well lost calf today farmer said just a little bit to prem
so sad looks like mum wont make it either
I can thank you guys enough for the concerm thankyou Ann
:(