cow won't gain weight

Help Support CattleToday:

Rookie

Reaction score
I am relatively new at this cattle gameand could use a little advice. I bought an Angus mix cow at sale last May. She weighed 895 lbs. She was in poor condition at best and had just had a calf. No idea what happened to it. Since I have had her I have been unable to put any weight on her to speak of. she is not as poor as when she came but still looks thin. She is active and healthy, very mobile and has a great appetite. I feed a mixture of 12% beef mix blended by Jackson Farmers. Also some 20% range cubes and soybean meal are fed daily. Fescue hay and free choice mineral are also readily available.I have treated her twice with Safeguard in the past 6 months. The salebarn aged her at under 7 yrs. Any suggestions? Feel free to email me if possible. Thanks....The Rookie

I have a simmental angus cross that is the same way, but she raises great calves. Maybe some cows are like people who eat all they want and never gain a pound.

txshowmom":3vb1h632 said:
She weighed 895 lb
The salebarn aged her at under 7 yrs.
Seems kind of small for her age. I would take her back to the salebarn.

Not every animal is a monster. When at BCS 6-6.5 she would probably weight 1000-1050. Nothing wrong with that size cow.

dun

I had an angus x cow that was the same way, unlike all the other ones she was a little taller and looked a lot thinner but, she had good body condition, a healthy appetite, good mobility, and raised one of the top calves every year. I just always figured somewhere down the line she had some holstein blood crossed in her. If she's getting around okay and eating good I wouldn't worry about her.

If she wasn't in good condition to start out, and calved in that condition, I wouldn't expect she would improve much while producing milk. How old is the calf? Probably wouldn't hurt to worm her, either.

J Baxter":3859ns6n said:
Has she bred back?

I spent some time (about 4 months) trying to improve her body score before exposing her to a bull.She seemed to be cycling regularly soI have had her with a bull for one cycle now, I dont believe she took at that time, her next cycle is in about 12 days so we'll see what happens this round.

J Baxter":rsijvis8 said:
Has she bred back?

I spent some time (about 4 months) trying to improve her body score before exposing her to a bull.She seemed to be cycling regularly soI have had her with a bull for one cycle now, I dont believe she took at that time, her next cycle is in about 12 days so we'll see what happens this round.