Cow won't eat

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
I have a three yr. old cow that is having trouble eating. She is eating a small amount of grain but no hay that I've seen . Not sure she is drinking if she is it's not much . Took her to the vet Saturday morning . Temp fine , he listened to her stomachs , looked in she mouth and felt of her throat , seem fine . Gave her a couple of shots . One being a B12 ,and Vitamin A D E , also 2 Vita charge bolus pills. He checked her stools and thought it to be ok . Diagnosis he thought she was thin but not uncommon after weaning a calf off her. When she eats the sweet feed , she will root around the pan like she's trying to fill her mouth without using her tongue. I did see her chew a little not much . I have not seen her chew her cud this week end. Turned her out in new grass, she would nose around but would not eat . This Sunday afternoon I put in the head chute looked at her mouth and tongue did not see any problems . Would a dental issue be the problem and if so how should it be corrected ? Sorry for the long thread . I really could use some help . thank you for your help . rj

Up date on cow. Had vet come to farm Monday night . He checked she over again, still did not find any thing that would cause her to not eat. He did agree she had paralyze of the tongue and jaw .He gave her a shot of Banamine . Didn't give much hope. Tuesday noon she is up eating sweet feed and hay . Unbelievable !!!! She may not be out of trouble yet . Looks a lot better than it did .