cow WON'T breed back

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a '94 model Angus Hereford X cow that is still open. She was synchro'd and AI'd in March of 03, and it didn't take. Ran with bulls 'till December, still open. I did see her in heat in November, but that was it. She is in great condition, good mineral program, etc. Vet checked her and said perhaps she was "cystic" and gave her a shot of GNRH (cystorelen) and lutelayce, still nothing. Would a CIDR help if the shots didn't? Or is there something else I can try? I know in all reality she should move on, but she is my favorite, and the thought of her going to kill upsets me. Thanks for any help

This must be a hobby for you a cow that doesn't calf every 12 months needs to be sale barn bound. How can you justify feeding a non productive cow for a year.

Campground Cattle":594gagbl said:
This must be a hobby for you a cow that doesn't calf every 12 months needs to be sale barn bound. How can you justify feeding a non productive cow for a year.

Hobby. Favorite Pet.

Since she is your pet, you could try putting her on a diet. Don't know how long it has been since she received cystorelen and lutelayce but the heat immediately following is non productive and maybe the one after that.
Has she started showing any masculine traits. Don't know how to describe the look but an older barren cow sometimes starts looking masculine. If so there is no hope.

Dee":2y3nm1rs said:
I have a '94 model Angus Hereford X cow that is still open. She was synchro'd and AI'd in March of 03, and it didn't take. Ran with bulls 'till December, still open. I did see her in heat in November, but that was it. She is in great condition, good mineral program, etc. Vet checked her and said perhaps she was "cystic" and gave her a shot of GNRH (cystorelen) and lutelayce, still nothing. Would a CIDR help if the shots didn't? Or is there something else I can try? I know in all reality she should move on, but she is my favorite, and the thought of her going to kill upsets me. Thanks for any help

Dee":2a0bpb6o said:

Sorry to say but she is dried up. She is ten years old and aging....just like women when they reach their 40's....their reproductive organs starts to wear down..... Time for her to grow wheels...whether she is a pet or not....keeping a non-producing cow can become expensive real fast!

So can keeping a non productive human, but people do that everyday. At any rate what is the typical production life of a cow, and at what age should you start expecting problems?

Some cows are old at 5-6, others are young at 10-12, depends on the cow. Genetics and forage can lead to tooth degeneration so they can't maintain the condition required to stay in good condition, feed a calf, and breed back. But around 8-10 would be a good average age to start considering culling. That's just a SWAG based on what I've seen in various british breeds.

dun

YoungBlood":1mao2644 said:
So can keeping a non productive human, but people do that everyday. At any rate what is the typical production life of a cow, and at what age should you start expecting problems?

dun":389svygl said:
Some cows are old at 5-6, others are young at 10-12, depends on the cow. Genetics and forage can lead to tooth degeneration so they can't maintain the condition required to stay in good condition, feed a calf, and breed back. But around 8-10 would be a good average age to start considering culling. That's just a SWAG based on what I've seen in various british breeds.

dun

YoungBlood":389svygl said:

I know about WAGs, use them all the time. I know SCWAGs, which are scientifically calculated WAGs. What's a SWAG? Sounds useful.

Craig-TX

Just delete the C from SCWAG

dun

Craig-TX":2qdcmv7u said:
dun":2qdcmv7u said:

dun

YoungBlood":2qdcmv7u said:

I know about WAGs, use them all the time. I know SCWAGs, which are scientifically calculated WAGs. What's a SWAG? Sounds useful.

Craig-TX

No, I refuse, I am going to spend the rest of my life trying to figure out what SCWAG means.

:?

dun":wfz8o53j said:
Just delete the C from SCWAG

dun

Craig-TX":wfz8o53j said:
dun":wfz8o53j said:

dun

YoungBlood":wfz8o53j said:

Craig-TX

Thanks for the advice.... I guess it may be time to give up on big Bertha. Enjoy your next burger, it may be a "Bertha Burger". :(

Latest posts