Cow with swollen rear lower leg

Help Support CattleToday:

sassafras manor

Reaction score
We have a 7 year old Angus cow that is limping around with a swollen rear lower leg. The area that is swollen is the bone area above the hoof to below the knee. She is still covering ground to graze/eat and will stand at the hay ring to feed. I see the cattle every day and first noticed it last night. She is not staying in one particular area and is moving about the pasture but just limping as she goes. Should I pull her up to the barn and call the vet to take a look or take the wait and see approach? Thoughts?
Thanks

I would look at her.

This was related to me by my vet about 2 weeks ago. A producer called him saying his cow was limping. He said the guy does not have a handling facility. The vet told the producer that she needed to be brought to the clinic. The guy didn't want to do that. Called back about two weeks later. Said he was bringing her in. The swelling had gone all the way to her hock. Was swollen to twice normal size. Upon examination, the tendons, bones and muscles were inflamed to the point that the bone was beyond healing. He said she was beyond help.

Thanks, that was my assumption but wanted to bounce it off of you all. I will separate her and her calf this evening and give the vet a call. Thanks again

The fact that it's noticeably swollen, yes, I'd get her in. Could be just a sprain but I've also had a limping bull with swelling near the hock, no other symptoms. Vet shaved his leg & discovered a scar. Opened it up and pus oozed out like an ice cream machine. Sooo gross! Evidently had a cut at some point in time that healed on the outside but not inside. On the other hand, I noticed one limping today and see no obvious signs: no swelling, no debris between the toes, no cracks in the hoof, stuck my finger between her toes (she's super docile) and it didn't reek of foot rot so I am just going to watch her for now - especially since she isn't even remotely close to either of the pens/chutes. Good luck & please keep us updated!

I'm not sure if you have your anatomy quite correct, but if she is only swollen in the 6 inches or so directly above the hoof, treat her for foot rot yourself and see if she improves. If you don't see any improvement in 2 days, call the vet then. If it is swollen from the hoof all the way to the hock, it is probably not foot rot and it should be looked at. If it really is swollen all the way from the hoof to the knee (stifle), that doesn't sound good.

The Excede must have done the job. She is moving around this morning with no evidence of a limp. I will keep her up at the barn to keep an eye on her until mid-week when everyone comes up with their calves to be weaned. One interesting note...the Excede was injected in the backside of the base/socket of the left cows ear in the direction of her right eye. Has anyone seen that before? Just curious.

sassafras manor":eumgc5u6 said:
The Excede must have done the job. She is moving around this morning with no evidence of a limp. I will keep her up at the barn to keep an eye on her until mid-week when everyone comes up with their calves to be weaned. One interesting note...the Excede was injected in the backside of the base/socket of the left cows ear in the direction of her right eye. Has anyone seen that before? Just curious.
Yes. I used it to treat a case of enteritis. Behind the ear is correct

Latest posts