Cow with Stiff Joints

Help Support CattleToday:

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
Bough a Hereford cow with black baldy calf on Monday at the sale. Gave the cow injectable wormer and triangle 10. Yesterday I noticed she could barely walk, stiff legged walk, not bending knees or hocks. She was dead this morning. Has anyone witnessed this before?

Tetanus looks like that. Not saying it is tetanus, but possible. What was her body condition like? How old is the calf?
You might have got stuck with someone else's problem....

I'm with M5 on this one. All the thin cows I buy I pour them heavy with cheap ivermectin. More for the lice and grubs but a cheap pour will only kill 10% to 20% of the worms at best.

Fire Sweep Ranch":2bswvv7d said:
Tetanus looks like that. Not saying it is tetanus, but possible. What was her body condition like? How old is the calf?

This was a 5 year old cow, calf couple months old. If anything, the cow was too fat.

Bigfoot":1piv9eiy said:
Possibly a fever caused by the triangle 10, that will pass? Just a guess.

midTN_Brangusman":1piv9eiy said:
Bough a Hereford cow with black baldy calf on Monday at the sale. Gave the cow injectable wormer and triangle 10. Yesterday I noticed she could barely walk, stiff legged walk, not bending knees or hocks. She was dead this morning. Has anyone witnessed this before?

I do not think she will over it.

M-5":3fip1vw5 said:
Bigfoot":3fip1vw5 said:
Possibly a fever caused by the triangle 10, that will pass? Just a guess.

midTN_Brangusman":3fip1vw5 said:

I do not think she will over it.

I need more reading comprehension.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1c81u172 said:

I think Fire Sweep has brought up a very valid possibility with tetanus especially after having been transported. Livestock do not have to have a fresh wound to get tetanus. Spores can enter through a cut even 6 mths earlier and just sit in healthy tissue like muscle with good blood supply but then with being handled and transported the muscle becomes bruised and then provides ideal anaerobic conditions for the tetanus spores to become active and produce the tetanus toxin.

An animal with tetanus has a very stiff and stilted gait, tail set high, ears back often with a frown and 3rd eyelids drawn half across the eye.

Ken

Latest posts