Cow with split hoof

Help Support CattleToday:

B&M Farms

Reaction score
Went and checked the cows this morning and one of my best cows is lame. She has a back hoof split from one toe to the coronary band. Penned her up and poured iodine on it. Talked to a neighbor and he said to use burnt motor oil on it for a week to keep the hoof soft and see if she starts putting more weight on it. I have never had to deal with a split hoof that caused one to be this lame and was wanting advice on how to treat it. I may have to ship her but she is only 9 and one of my best with weaning weights. With the split at the coronary band I'm not sure it will heal though.
Edit; If I thought I could get her over it, I would LA her. I don't want to give her any antibiotics if she has to go to slaughter. I'm keeping iodine on it and have not tried the motor oil by they way.

The vet or you can put a hoof block on. Takes some of the weight off the toe.

Try and get a bovine hoof trimmer in you area to look at it. They will prob block it. I would personally talk to a dairy (if any near you) and see who they recommend. Nothing against vets, (and my vet actually recommends by the way) that I have a hoof trimmer who's job is only taking care of cows feet. Its much like a general practice doc vs a podiatrist for feet issues. Don't sell her until you've tried this route, if available in your area. Good luck,
Jenna

Thanks. I talked to my vet today and he had me build a cotton pad and vet wrap it. Hes coming out in the morning so maybe we can get her healed.

Latest posts