COW WITH RUNNY NOSE, NO EATING

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions as to what could possibly be the problem with a cow that has a runny nose (clear) and will not eat with the herd? She has a 5 month old calf, and the calf is healthy. Mamma cow just started to act docile, and not eat. Suggestions ? I thought about giving her a shot of LA200, but wasnt sure.

Before starting indiscriminate antibiotics, take her temp! If she has a temp and doesn;t have a limp or other obvious irregularity hit her with a dose of a serious antibiotic, Nuflor, etc. If there isn;t a temp you'll need to figure out what is causing the appetite loss, hardware, not liking whatever the feed is, indigestation, etc.
A runny nose can be anything from a cold, dusty feed, pneumonia, etc.

dun

Yes, I need to do a temp check, but it could be the dusty conditions we are having here in okla. very dry, and dusty. I feed rolled hay, with liquid feed, and occasional 20% range cubes. If its just a cold, will they normally get over it?

Limomike":x7o8nn1b said:
Yes, I need to do a temp check, but it could be the dusty conditions we are having here in okla. very dry, and dusty. I feed rolled hay, with liquid feed, and occasional 20% range cubes. If its just a cold, will they normally get over it?

Yes but you probably should keep an eye on her for comlications. The appetite deal is more of a concern to me then a snotty nose.

dun

So what if she starts eating again? Should just keep an eye on her, and hold off on giving any shots?

If she gets back to normal in the appetitre department and doesn;t have a temp I'ld just leave her alone.
Benign neglect

dun

So, how long has this cow been off her feed? Totally not eating or reduced consumtiom, does she eat the good stuff, cubes, grain etc. Great advise as usual Dun, take her temp and keep an eye on her. Dmc

She has been eating sporatic, but not as usual. She only eats the "good stuff" , cubes, alfalfa hay, etc. But she still only eats very small amounts. I have her penned up, and keeping a watchful eye on her.

Latest posts