COW WITH RUNNY BLOODY NOSE

Help Support CattleToday:

midtncattle

Reaction score
We were AI'ing cows tonight night and I noticed one of my younger cows had a pretty bad snotty nose. When I got her in chute I noticed it also contained fresh blood. If I had had my L300 at the barn I would have gave her a dose. Is there really any need for concern or is this common? My main reason for concern is that I do have two small calves penned in the barn that are recent sale barn purchases. She has only had some limited contact with them through the panels.

I'm not sure what that would be, but it seems from what I read around here is that LA300 isn't too effective against respiratory problems, Name I seem to recall is Resflor?

I had one with a snotty nose a few days ago... big ol' boogers, she was fine otherwise and is fine now (with no snotty nose). Keep a close eye on her and those calves.

What does the snot look like. Clear, white, or yellow? Thick or thin?
Could she have banged it coming in? (Blood)
Do you have Foxtails or other bad burrowing stickers that she could have gotten up her nose?

It was yellow and somewhere between thick and thin. I do have some thistle that could have got her. Calves have no sign of runny nose. I have had them about a week.

Yellow is a good indication of infection.
Thistle doesn't burrow like fox tail does. My cows can get fox tails in the ears, nose or eyes causing infections. But if you don't have those, sounds like you could have a possible upper respiratory infection.