Cow with Rabies?!

Help Support CattleToday:

holm25

Reaction score
I need everyones advice. We have a cow here who today is foaming at the mouth and trying to kill you if you get within 40 feet of her. She also went crazy amd jumped oover a 5 strand barb wire fence. Now she is a tame cow and you can usually walk up to her amd check her out and now today she is like this? Whst could be wrong? Rabies? Byt its MN and you wouldnt think she would get rabies in the middle of winter? Thanks in advance

It does sound like rabies. Keep in mind that the cow could have been infected in the fall. The virus could have been dormant or inactive until recently. I would call the vet immediately.

An animal can get rabies at any time of year.

I can't say for sure that she has it or not, but it doesn't sound good.

I would get your vet involved, asap, just to be sure.

And that's my :2cents:

Thank you ll very much! We will be cintaxting the vet asap. I have no clue what i'd do without this forum and its kind users!

Vet is first choice my grandpa lost about ten head to a rabid fox in the 40's.
Had them up in a lot feeding in the late fall. Fox got in the lot biting everything he could.

One of the dairy farms I used to test had a cow develop rabies in late March, and it was COLD out. She was in barn and started getting aggressive to the milker bringing in the cows so he managed to get her in the box stall near there and after having the vet out, he diagnosed rabies and then there were about 6 people that had to do the shots. They called me to see if I had been down that side of the barn the last time I had tested there but luckily I had not so they said that I wouldn't have to have the series of shots.
Yes get the vet and try to stay as far away from any body fluids, saliva etc. You may have to give the rest of the herd rabies vaccine. There was a beef farm that had 2 cows with rabies within a month so all the rest got a rabies vaccine shot.

Many on this board know I had rabid calf and what I had to go through. Definitely check vet all my cows and calves are vaccinated.

skyhightree1":3tcvf3jj said:
Many on this board know I had rabid calf and what I had to go through. Definitely check vet all my cows and calves are vaccinated.

Sky, what vaccine are you using? Or are you having a vet perform the vaccination. Rabies vaccines are regulated by state. Some states require it to be administered by a vet and/or a prescription. It is a killed virus preparation so there is not a risk to humans but for whatever reason, it is regulated. For example, in Kentucky, I can vaccinate my dogs myself for everything except rabies. I have to go to my vet to have it performed there.

JW IN VA":5inq90eb said:
skyhightree1":5inq90eb said:

I took the shots in '02.Still waiting on my tag to put on my collar. :D

I went through the series of shots, back in '99. I get my titer checked every couple of years or so.

D-lab where I work does official rabies testing for the western half of KY. We have had positive Rabies diagnoses on two cows within the last month.
Most common Rabies virus variants in this part of the country are North Central Skunk and Bat. Jan/Feb is mating season here for skunks - that's when I see the most killed on the highway... and also when I get a pretty significant number of submissions - because folks' dogs are tangling with them - and a significant number of positive test results.

Have your vet out to look at her. By all means, if she dies or you put her down (don't shoot her in the head! Neck or heart shot preferred...), have the brain tested at the nearest state veterinary or public health laboratory that does rabies testing.

OK so vet cant do anything till monday. When we checked today she was bkeeding from the nose?

holm25":2i5q7imw said:
OK so vet cant do anything till monday. When we checked today she was bkeeding from the nose?

If I were in your shoes, I would avoid any contact with the cows blood or other body fluids or excretions until the vet can do an assessment. If you have to deal with her, wear a mask - you can get them at Walmart. Isolate her if you can without exposing yourself.

Whether it is rabies or something else, humans are subject to some of the same organisms that infect cows, including anthrax and mad cow disease. Hopefully, it is none of the above.

Margonme":2ushtb6v said:
holm25":2ushtb6v said:

If I were in your shoes, I would avoid any contact with the cows blood or other body fluids or excretions until the vet can do an assessment. If you have to deal with her, wear a mask - you can get them at Walmart. Isolate her if you can without exposing yourself.

Whether it is rabies or something else, humans are subject to some of the same organisms that infect cows, including anthrax and mad cow disease. Hopefully, it is none of the above.

She is down. Cant get up or even lift her head. Her muzzle is shoved in the snow. Just gonna leave her tull the vet makes it out

holm25":35rohta0 said:
Margonme":35rohta0 said:
holm25":35rohta0 said:

She is down. Cant get up or even lift her head. Her muzzle is shoved in the snow. Just gonna leave her tull the vet makes it out

That is what I would do too. She may be dead by Monday but her prognosis is poor anyway.

Workinonit Farm":21y3fzl2 said:
JW IN VA":21y3fzl2 said:
skyhightree1":21y3fzl2 said:

I took the shots in '02.Still waiting on my tag to put on my collar. :D

I went through the series of shots, back in '99. I get my titer checked every couple of years or so.

Did your county send you a tag? They give one for the dogs-I thought I got ripped off :? :D

Latest posts