Cow with one big teat

Help Support CattleToday:

Mom3tlc

Reaction score
I have a 3y old beef cow..this is her 3rd baby..3 days old..one of her teats is big about the size of a carrot..should I be worried..baby nursing..other teats look fine

I don't want her to get mastitus
Mastitis typically occurs when bacteria travel into the udder from an open teat end. If a teat is not being nursed or leaking milk, the teat end remains closed and the risk of mastitis is negligible. If you'd like to milk it out to make it look better, that's your business, but there's not likely to be any particular benefit to the cow.

If done properly, she should be about 5 years old.

That being said, I have 2 cows that calved as yearlings.... 😆

One had her second calf already. The other is holding out on me.

I know, I know. Off topic. But they got great teats!!

So with that being said.. I don't think I've ever had a 3 year old with bad teats or bag. Usually a bit older. After 3 or 4 calves yes.
I did have a lovely cow this year had one big fat sausage teat. Her third calf if I remember right. She will be about 5 yr old. The calf finally got it figured out after several days. May have been more than a week. Liked to drove me nuts! But all is well

Last edited:
I have a 3y old beef cow..this is her 3rd baby..3 days old..one of her teats is big about the size of a carrot..should I be worried..baby nursing..other teats look fine
My best mom has large teats before giving birth. It takes a few days before the calf reduces the size of those strutted teats. Just keep an eye on her. Should be fine.

I don't think you have a 3 year old cow that has her 3rd calf, unless she has had twins.
If she has a large teat, this might be a good reason to cull her after raising this calf.

Others may disagree, but when I have one like that I let her raise the current calf and then she gets a free ride to town.

I don't think you have a 3 year old cow that has her 3rd calf, unless she has had twins.
If she has a large teat, this might be a good reason to cull her after raising this calf.
Sorry I meant she's 5 and had 3 babies
Others may disagree, but when I have one like that I let her raise the current calf and then she gets a free ride to town.
Yeah she's a pet so probably no more babies

Yeah she's a pet so probably no more babies

If she's gentle enough to let you milk out the large quarter until the calf is big enough to take care of it, and you don't mind doing it, there's no problem with keeping her and letting her have more calves. I don't want to devote the time or energy for that.

If she's gentle enough to let you milk out the large quarter until the calf is big enough to take care of it, and you don't mind doing it, there's no problem with keeping her and letting her have more calves. I don't want to devote the time or energy for that.
Yeah I only have 3 cows so not a problem..thank you

Been there, done that. But as I previously mentioned, it can become a recurring problem. Hated to cull this girl but it segued into 4 big teats, then raging mastitis & 2 dead quarters. Even if I had been in a situation to keep her as a pet, her bag ended up being huge, hard, and painful. That's no life for a pet. Just something to think about @Mom3tlc.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
If you only have 3 cows I would keep her. It will be a recurring thing, but if she is quiet and let's you handle her easy......... milk that teat out or better yet, make the calf suck on it for a day or two and that'll be it.

Been there, done that. But as I previously mentioned, it can become a recurring problem. Hated to cull this girl but it segued into 4 big teats, then raging mastitis & 2 dead quarters. Even if I had been in a situation to keep her as a pet, her bag ended up being huge, hard, and painful. That's no life for a pet. Just something to think about @Mom3tlc.
U gotta love a cow that gentle!

Awesomeness

Latest posts