Cow with Lump/Abcess???

Help Support CattleToday:

OldCrow

Reaction score
All,

Here is a picture of a cow we have been getting back to health. A good size lump (Volleyball) has come up on her with a softball size spot that has lost it's hair. Just curious as to what someone thought it might be and if anything needs to be done. Her appetite is good and she has been gaining her weight back steadily. The back story is that she lost a lot of weight from sickness and we are trying to get her back into shape before she ships out when this lump came up.
Cow9.jpg

Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks,
OldCrow

It looks like something I'd like to stick a knife into. Maybe put a large bore needle in first to confirm that puss is going to come out and then give it a decent deep slash and then stick a hose in.
Ken

You say this happened as you were nursing her back to health. Is it posssible that the lump is where you gave her some shots? Maybe with a used needle? Just a thought.

The image will not load for me.
I have never drained one the size of a volleyball. Have drained softball size with no problem.
I stick it with a hyper dermic needle at the bottom and see what comes out. Usually puss. Then I make a small incision and milk the junk out.
When I am satisfied most of the junk has drained, I draw a large syringe of hydrogen peroxide and inject from the top of the pocket. It will fuzz out the bottom slit.
Give some antibiotics and feed real good until it heals. They will recover much faster once you get the infection out. As it is now, the blood system is trying to carry it out a little at a time.

Kenny,

I gave her shots on both sides but the needle was cleaned before use.

Thanks all for the advice. We are going to try and get her up to lance it. Another reason she is leaving is because she is crazy and always hard to get up even with feed. She used to be just crazy but getting sick has made her mean and crazy.

Thanks,

OldCrow